Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Colour spaces

dusted 15 508 1 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2006 9:44PM
equally lost as well I must admit :-(

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Jul 2006 9:47PM
You will be as the the industry, as mentioned above print in CMYK.
dusted 15 508 1 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2006 10:05PM
oh dear god
AngelaD 15 2.9k Wales
9 Jul 2006 10:35PM
Gonna stick with sRGB; Gary (barnowl) kindly sent me some information; going to check it out tomorrow when I have more time and am a bit more awake!
timiano 16 894 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2006 12:28AM
Yeh but if you had 256 crayons..!?

Arhghghhghgh!!!!!!!

Tricky init...It well gets on me man boobs.

Definitive answers please respond below!
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2006 9:30AM
I have looked at the SmugMug URL. Some of it is factual but it is also based on opinion. The article seems to rubish the views of leading experts who I would much sooner trust. It does come back to what do you want? If you are producing output for web browsers only then use sRGB for your output but once you have restricted you pic to this limited gamut you cannot revert. If you print using comsumer printing services then they probably will be geared up to sRGB because the colour space is set to that in most mass consumer cameras.

If you are a serious amateur printing at home on your ink jet printer then you will not be able to produce top quality prints if you are limited to sRGB. If you use Adobe RGB(1998) you can still convert to sRGB for web output.

I repeat my recommendation that you read Adobe PhotoShop for Photographers by Martin Evening which covers this topic in detail. Martin is a professional fashion photographer as well as an author. You do not even have to buy the book as you can download the colour management chapter for free -

http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs2/colormanage.htm

One interesting point. My pictures all have an Adobe RGB (1998) profile embedded. I upload them to this site as they are (I am generally producing pictures to print). I wonder if they are automatically converted to sRGB for ths site? Anyways with them being so small and low resolution, I am not sure the color space would be that critical for this purpose.

Dave
barnowl 14 697
10 Jul 2006 10:44AM
Have a look Here under phototips/archives. There is a lot of info.

Gary

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.