Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Combined binoculars and camera

MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2007 3:57PM
These have been around now for a lot of years but no company seems to have made a success of them.
I could buy a fine pair of glasses weighing less than a kilo, that could pick out a pin at 100 yards and hold it steady for less than a 1000.
I could also buy an excellent 5mp.digicam weighing 200gms. for 200
Obviously it is a simple matter to satisfactorily combine the two, as has been proved so what's the problem ?
Have they moved on any?
What is the best that's available ?

....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevinMW 14 14 Wales
19 Jun 2007 8:04PM
Saw one of these reviewed on the Gadget Show some time back but it got a bit of a slating. Not sure of the make or anything. Maybe they still have it on their website

Kevin
cambirder 16 7.2k England
19 Jun 2007 9:27PM
I doubt there is a great demand. Most birders spending good money on bins want a pair that are waterproof, and will last for many years.

Adding a camera means you have built in obsolescence and it is unlikely to be waterproof.

Their was a 1000+ spotting scope with built in camera, but it never took off.
RCE 13 75
20 Jun 2007 6:56PM
One major problem would be the CCD getting in the way of the optics, so you end up with three sets of optics (2 for eyes, one for CCD)

The cheap nasty ones can do it easily, the CCD is small so doesn't need half as much optical power as the actual binoculars.

So you end up with 1.5x the price for optics, then the electronics, different magnification for different uses then the limited market, doesn't really add up to a success story.
MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2007 8:34PM
Seems strange that these have never been satisfactorily produced ...but there you go.

......Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.