PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Combined Macro/B&W Challenge thoughts.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
15 Jun 2020 7:03PM
I know it is early days, but I thought I'd start this thread to talk about what we feel works / doesn't work with the new system.
The idea is to have sensible comments about things we can perhaps ask IT to change, if possible.

My first thought is that I miss having a choice of background for images. Most of mine, for example, look best on a black bg.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
15 Jun 2020 7:10PM
I would like to see a link between the image thread and the comments/banter thread. At the moment we have to swap between threads and as the conversations run into each other it's a bit muddled. Unless you go to the Challenges tab in the headings, we also have to scroll fhrough lots of other topics to get to the chat and/or pics. Just a thought.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
15 Jun 2020 7:18PM

Quote:I would like to see a link between the image thread and the comments/banter thread. At the moment we have to swap between threads and as the conversations run into each other it's a bit muddled. Unless you go to the Challenges tab in the headings, we also have to scroll fhrough lots of other topics to get to the chat and/or pics. Just a thought.

We could have combined, self-contained combined image/chat threads, a new one every week. That would be a plus, I think. Drawback would be the one judging has to trawl through a combination of images and comments/banter.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
15 Jun 2020 7:32PM

Quote:
Quote:I would like to see a link between the image thread and the comments/banter thread. At the moment we have to swap between threads and as the conversations run into each other it's a bit muddled. Unless you go to the Challenges tab in the headings, we also have to scroll fhrough lots of other topics to get to the chat and/or pics. Just a thought.

We could have combined, self-contained combined image/chat threads, a new one every week. That would be a plus, I think. Drawback would be the one judging has to trawl through a combination of images and comments/banter.

I still think that would be preferable, imho. It was nice to have pics and banter combined, but i do think it was overcomplicated before.
EddieAC Plus
15 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2020 8:22PM
Maybe the team can add a button at the top of the page where you can switch the thread view to only show posts with images and back again.

Anyone viewing the new threads in a couple of months time may wonder "Which image won?" If the winner isn't declared in the image thread.
EddieAC Plus
15 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2020 8:51PM
Maybe this could be adapted to show a gallery style view for all the images as well. This could work as an enhancement for competition threads also.

With regards to the black border issue Malc referred to in the opening post then maybe a way could be added to set the border colour in a potential Image/gallery view.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.4k 7 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2020 5:42AM
I'm with Chris and Malc, a self contained image/comments thread capturing the weeks challenge, 'banter' and results would work better for me.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
16 Jun 2020 7:33AM
Eddie has a very valid point about posting the result together with the images, so anyone can see in the future which image won...

Edit: Have posted in the b&w discussion suggesting the results be written in the image thread, as Eddie suggested...makes sense...
16 Jun 2020 9:49AM

Quote:Eddie has a very valid point about posting the result together with the images, so anyone can see in the future which image won...

Edit: Have posted in the b&w discussion suggesting the results be written in the image thread, as Eddie suggested...makes sense...

Agree this seems right. I think the banter could go in a separate thread though to keep the images together.

As regards background there is a solution if you are a plus member in that you get a choice of background when you upload an image to your portfolio so a link to that works.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
17 Jun 2020 3:54PM

Quote:As regards background there is a solution if you are a plus member in that you get a choice of background when you upload an image to your portfolio so a link to that works.

That would mean extra work (oh, poor me!) as I never upload challenge images to my pf, only ever direct to the challenge, although if there is no other solution available from IT, then...
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
17 Jun 2020 3:56PM

Quote:I'm with Chris and Malc, a self contained image/comments thread capturing the weeks challenge, 'banter' and results would work better for me.

Thea only reason to keep comments/banter separate was to make judging as easy as possible, so I think the best is as has been suggested - images and results/congrats/thanks in one thread, comments/banter along the way in the discussion one.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
17 Jun 2020 6:34PM

Quote:
Quote:As regards background there is a solution if you are a plus member in that you get a choice of background when you upload an image to your portfolio so a link to that works.

That would mean extra work (oh, poor me!) as I never upload challenge images to my pf, only ever direct to the challenge, although if there is no other solution available from IT, then...

I have just realised that clicking an image to view large automatically opens with a full black background...
cattyal Plus
15 9.1k 6 England
17 Jun 2020 7:10PM
I'm just happy to go with the flow Smile
JawDborn 8 1.3k 1 England
18 Jun 2020 7:35PM
"If it ain't broke don't fix it," so why did they?
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
18 Jun 2020 7:42PM

Quote:"If it ain't broke don't fix it," so why did they?

That's just it, the whole area of the groups was, in a way breaking the site. It was a weak point that was exploited by spammers, causing lots of problems. Getting rid of it was the only logical answer. There were other reasons as well, but the best thing for the site was to get rid of it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.