Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Combined Macro/B&W Challenge thoughts.

JawDborn 8 1.3k 1 England
18 Jun 2020 7:53PM

Quote:
Quote:"If it ain't broke don't fix it," so why did they?

That's just it, the whole area of the groups was, in a way breaking the site. It was a weak point that was exploited by spammers, causing lots of problems. Getting rid of it was the only logical answer. There were other reasons as well, but the best thing for the site was to get rid of it.

Thanks Malc., now I understand. I don't enter the challenges anymore, because I'm usually too ill (severe M.E. and ancient (80!)) to take photos, but I always enjoy looking at the entries and comments. Regards to all..

Jack.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.7k 62 Norway
18 Jun 2020 7:58PM

Quote:
Quote:

That's just it, the whole area of the groups was, in a way breaking the site. It was a weak point that was exploited by spammers, causing lots of problems. Getting rid of it was the only logical answer. There were other reasons as well, but the best thing for the site was to get rid of it.

Thanks Malc., now I understand. I don't enter the challenges anymore, because I'm usually too ill (severe M.E. and ancient (80!)) to take photos, but I always enjoy looking at the entries and comments. Regards to all..

Jack.

Good to know that you are still around the site - I wondered where you had disappeared to. Sorry to hear about your health issues, though.
Take care.Smile
petebfrance 8 2.9k France
19 Jun 2020 12:45PM
I'm still not happy that EXIF info isn't there. Fine most of the time, but occasionally in the past there have been entries from folk not used to the rules that have been taken before the subject was announced and spotting that is not exactly easy. Yes, with the old system it was possible to edit the EXIF (still is in the pf, I believe), but I think it was usually a genuine mistake that the poster had not read the rules in detail so they didn't do that and the picture was posted because it fit rather well and the poster was pleased with it. Truth to be told, I often found the EXIFs rather interesting (hmm, I wonder what that says about me..)

Anyway, I'll just see how things pan out, and as of late I haven't been entering that often then my objection is probably irrelevant. Will just see if I can regenerate my old enthusiasm.
19 Jun 2020 12:49PM
Hi Pete,

Exif is coming, just working on the best way of doing it.

Rick
19 Jun 2020 1:01PM

Quote:Hi Pete,

Rick

Great - thanks!
19 Jun 2020 7:47PM

Quote:
Quote:

Jack.

Hi Jack
just a quick shout, really, to say how nice it is to hear from you again. You've been missed. Take care and please do join in when you can.

regards, Pete
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2020 8:16PM

Rick

Just a thought as I've been adding my shot for the macro challenge...
To keep exif available and to satisfy everyone that dates are all above board.

i. Image loaded to portfolio
ii. Then added to weekly thread from portfolio - all exif available.

No messing around with web site, or trying to pull info out.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.7k 62 Norway
19 Jun 2020 8:19PM

Quote:

Rick

Just a thought as I've been adding my shot for the macro challenge...
To keep exif available and to satisfy everyone that dates are all above board.

i. Image loaded to portfolio
ii. Then added to weekly thread from portfolio - all exif available.

No messing around with web site, or trying to pull info out.

Not everybody wants the challenge images in their pf, though, Dave. If we could upload from an album, not just the pf, then I would create a 'challenges' album, upload there then into the challenge thread, but as things are, you can't upload from anywhere on the site outside your main pf.

Dave - I deleted the identical comment from the macro thread - no need to have it both places and this thread covers both challengesGrinGrin
EddieAC 15 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2020 11:09AM
There is always the option of having EXIF show up in a pop up box when hovering the mouse over the image.

I also think the team should look at having a gallery view for forum threads so switching to this would show the images in the thread just like going to the gallery. Clicking on an image could therefore show the image with the other images in the thread showing up as thumbnails below. This could enhance the viewing of the competition threads and also provide an option of storing all the photos from the group challenges in a thread for viewing that way.
EddieAC 15 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
29 Jun 2020 4:18PM
I did notice that my old bookmark for the weekly macro challenge group now takes me to the Challenges section in the forum so whatever is being done to the old groups must be well underway.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.