Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get the new ON1 Photo 10 and Save $100 Today. Use Code: GetPhoto10 View Offer

Come in D70, your time is up...

sillyconguru 11 4.4k
2 Apr 2006 6:25AM

Quote:better to leave the camera alone and use post editing for corrections, else Nikon is going to recieve a lot of D70's back for repairs/resetting to factory defaults after people mess with it.

Best these users put their cameras back in the box and send them back right now Grin

You can easily change from using a custom curve and using one of Nikon's presets.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrisfroud 10 521
5 Apr 2006 12:59AM
Thats to be expected, presumably these applications don't understand the profile thats attached to them (ie they don't realise they're supposed to be adobeRGB). Therefore they assume a standard sRGB colourspace and all the colours will look wrong. Solution, work in AdobeRGB and convert to sRGB profile when you want to export them somewhere else.

laticman 11 74 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2006 8:30AM
Whatever happend to just enjoying taking photos,sounds to me like this digital world has taken the art of photography away a little.eg..(raw, jpegs,) All the work required on a pc after boring or what.

Come on taking pics is what you all want to do,not see how good you can improve the image after you`ve taken it.(manipulation in my eyes) Do you agree?...

Get back to film ...its the future...?
keithh Plus
11 24.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Apr 2006 9:22AM
I think you're slightly missing the point there.

What digital has done is place the Printing of photographs within reach of the everyday photographer. He/she doesn't have to send them away to a lab or pay through the nose for a Print Man to do the work. They can now take full control of their image at every stage.

The drawback is that they then begin to realise why we paid Print Men so much money back in the day and why we see so many HORRENDOUS digitally produced prints.

But it's a stage further in the learning process and has nothing to do with a lack of art or skill at the taking stage.
tepot 11 4.4k United Kingdom
5 Apr 2006 1:27PM
looks like he also uses a digital camera Wink

what he means though i think is trying to get it right when you hit the shutter, rather than trying to 'repair' it afterwards with software. remember though, manipulation can make a mediocre picture great and i'm all for it, also remember that pouring syrup on sh!t, doesn't make pancakes!
StrayCat Plus
11 16.9k 3 Canada
5 Apr 2006 1:33PM
We'll take your word for that last bit of info Terry.
ardbeg77 11 1.2k 6 Sao Tome And Principe
5 Apr 2006 1:37PM

Quote:remember that pouring syrup on sh!t, doesn't make pancakes!

Try telling that to McDonald's.....!
LAF 12 1.7k
7 Apr 2006 9:57AM
Look, just forget it. You could've tought the cows to program the VCR by now.
CathyT 9 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2006 11:15AM
Hi Photomonkey,

Well I have read everyones advice as I found the same problem when I first bought mine. All the photo's seemed a bit dull and lifeless.

The only thing I can add is start shooting in manual and really get to know the camera.
Shoot in raw + jpg ,if you don't have Nikon Capture you can download Nikon View 6 free from the Nikon site.

Also read up on the different metering modes, it all makes a difference. I try and keep the camera as standard and then sort out levels in PS.

At least with digital you can eventually get there through trial and error if nothing else.

By the way csurry your advice was really useful.

8 Apr 2006 12:33AM
I have just got a D2X, I only shoot in raw, 90% of the time in A priority,unless at the bike racing then its S priority.I always check the histogram for exposure,looking at the screen on a sunny day tells you not alot.
You have to remember a digital SLR is just one piece,in an image making kit,your PC is the other.The D70 is an exellent digital camera,so dont give up on it.
Good luck Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.