Change gear with our partner, MPB

Comment stats dropping?

Atlas 18 621 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2005 6:53AM
I have just noticed my gallery comment stats have taken a dive, I know this because I don't particularly comment that much and noticed last night I had finally reached over 5000 comments. It was about 5030 to be exact, it's now dropped to 4916, thats 114 comments lost.

This has come up before I know. I think it was put down to people just having a good clear out of the old images

I thought changes had been made so that when images are deleted the stats don't change?

Anyone else noticed a big drop in their comment stats?
conrad 17 10.9k 116
30 Sep 2005 6:57AM
Have Pete and Will been deleting pics again? When they do so, your stats drop.

Of course that's strange, because you did make those comments, wether or not pictures have been deleted.

But each time someone points out this strange characteristic of our stats, there is no reaction from the team...

Conrad
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
30 Sep 2005 6:59AM
It may not be the mods but the users themselves deleting their own shots - often because they are not agree with the comments they have received (or because they do).

Ashley
30 Sep 2005 7:07AM
Last message from Will about comments was

Quote:The statistics are an indication of the data you have present on the site, not an overview of everything you've ever inputted.

In the same way it'd be no good saying you had 100 photos in your portfolio, if you'd deleted them all, we want the comment statistics to only include readable comments.

If pictures get deleted, by users or otherwise the comments drop, not sure if Will was working on a way to keep the stats in your portfolio.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
30 Sep 2005 7:17AM
Don't blame us, blame the people who upload and then delete pics! Over 8000 were cleaned out of the deleted part of our database this morning! I'm sure it was only a couple of months ago when we last cleaned it up.
conrad 17 10.9k 116
30 Sep 2005 7:20AM
It's the misleading text that does it for me, Pete. It does say "Gallery comments posted" - not "Gallery comments posted and still present on the site", or words to that effect. Just gives the wrong impression.

Conrad
snapbandit 17 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
30 Sep 2005 7:26AM
Pete, you could always rename it
" Gallery comments posted on pictures which have not been deleted, as the comments will dissapear from peoples portfolio statistics if the original images commented on are deleted"

or would that possibly be a touch on the long side?

good grief!!
;-D))

JB
mellyleth 17 212 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2005 7:30AM
How come this one is still 'live' then? This person has completely cleared out his portfolio but I can still click onto the photo. I even made another comment after it had been deleted Smile
conrad 17 10.9k 116
30 Sep 2005 7:30AM
JB, it is perfectly understandable that you mock my comment, but my comment stats say something about my use of the site. So it would be nice if they didn't give the wrong impression.

Not a big thing, I know, but it's the principle of the thing that made me say that.

And you are, of course, at liberty not to read any posts that irritate you, let alone react to them...

Conrad
snapbandit 17 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
30 Sep 2005 7:33AM
Apologies if I gave the impression that I was irritated, I wasn't!. It was a light hearted comment (as hopefully implied by the smiley).

I'll try to take everything more seriously from now on!!

maybe!!
Wink

JB
conrad 17 10.9k 116
30 Sep 2005 7:35AM
It was the "good grief" that made that impression - and smilies, in whatever form, don't always diminish that impression, JB.

Conrad

Edit: But never mind. It's not important enough.
Atlas 18 621 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2005 7:50AM

Quote:How come this one is still 'live' then? This person has completely cleared out his portfolio but I can still click onto the photo. I even made another comment after it had been deleted Smile

Thats an interesting point Mel, the file is still there using HDD space.

Well I think you may as well scrap the comment stats if they are not a true indication of all our hard work. It's a bit like having a car with a dodgy mileometer.

Rob
robadsy 16 348
30 Sep 2005 8:28AM
rob, i completely admire your work. you are an outstanding photographer, in my opinion.

but its only stats mate, ads:o)
User_Removed 16 4.9k England
30 Sep 2005 8:42AM
if you click it enough times..... wonder if'll get an RC Wink
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2005 9:37AM
80% of stats are made up and the other 30% are wrong Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.