Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

Compact camera for sports photography?

9 May 2015 3:16AM
Hello everyone! I'm a Samsung camera user (compact cameras) and I both use Samsung WB150F and Samsung N7 Ops. Both of them have good zoom range but I've noticed that the photo quality of them is mediocre and they are only good for close-ups or macro shots. When I use a high ISO range, you can see the noise very well especially when I shoot action photos. Sad

Anyway, is there a Samsung camera you know that is good for any kind of sports photography (especially basketball and swimming since I usually shoot them on my free time)? I prefer point-and-shoot cameras since I don't have money for now to afford for a DSLR. I hope to hear a response here. Thanks in advanced.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

9 May 2015 8:43AM
No easy way around it - fast lens and great high ISO performace combined with very fast autofocus lie squarely in DSLR domain. Some of mirrorles systems try to break that border with considerable success but they may be as expensive, if not more expensive than old goodies.
Only budget option for you would be a second hand DSLR. Some of them are ridiculously cheap nowadays.
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
9 May 2015 10:01AM
NO, no compact will match a DSLR, perhaps in the future but not yet. Take a look at ANY sports photographer and none have compacts

I Use D4s with 80-400 Nikkor Nano coated and a D810 with Nikkor 70-200 f2.8

You also don't say "what" you can afford which people will need to know, as for afford, there are PLENTY of pre owned DSLRs on teh market.
conrad 14 10.9k 116
9 May 2015 11:21AM
Completely agree - there's no such thing as a 'compact camera for sports photography', it just won't work as well as a DSLR or similar. If you don't have the money for a new DSLR, then why not buy a used model, as suggested above? There are plenty around, enough choice in cameras to suit any budget, and although that won't get you the latest model, you don't need the latest model - but you do need the right kind of camera for this kind of photography. If you don't go with a DSLR or similar (several mirrorless MFT systems will do quite nicely as well), you'll be disappointed, I guarantee it.
9 May 2015 11:31AM

Quote:Completely agree - there's no such thing as a 'compact camera for sports photography', it just won't work as well as a DSLR or similar. If you don't have the money for a new DSLR, then why not buy a used model, as suggested above? There are plenty around, enough choice in cameras to suit any budget, and although that won't get you the latest model, you don't need the latest model - but you do need the right kind of camera for this kind of photography. If you don't go with a DSLR or similar (several mirrorless MFT systems will do quite nicely as well), you'll be disappointed, I guarantee it.

Never thought mirrorless, +1
9 May 2015 3:47PM

Quote:NO, no compact will match a DSLR, perhaps in the future but not yet. Take a look at ANY sports photographer and none have compacts

You also don't say "what" you can afford which people will need to know, as for afford, there are PLENTY of pre owned DSLRs on teh market.

Oh I see, that's why I usually see all sports photographers whenever I watch live games before and now that they always use DSLR/s with long lenses and not compact/point-and-shoot cameras and I have to agree with you with that. Oh well, I'm still a student and not working yet so I guess I have to stick with my point-and-shoot-cameras that I've mentioned for now. I am okay with them actually, although I wished the quality was better. I'll just wait for my aunt's DSLR to come. I just wanted to say what I can afford since I like elaborating things further. I guess I'm in the minority. Sad
9 May 2015 4:19PM

Quote:
Quote:NO, no compact will match a DSLR, perhaps in the future but not yet. Take a look at ANY sports photographer and none have compacts

Oh I see, that's why I usually see all sports photographers whenever I watch live games before and now that they always use DSLR/s with long lenses and not compact/point-and-shoot cameras and I have to agree with you with that. Oh well, I'm still a student and not working yet so I guess I have to stick with my point-and-shoot-cameras that I've mentioned for now. I am okay with them actually, although I wished the quality was better. I'll just wait for my aunt's DSLR to come. I just wanted to say what I can afford since I like elaborating things further. I guess I'm in the minority. Sad

As has been suggested, there are many many pre owned dslrs available from reputable sellers/shops, but still you have not said what your budget is.

IF we knew a budget we could better advise
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
10 May 2015 7:39PM
Am considering buying a compact and looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD, has anyone got one of these and what's it like?
11 May 2015 10:29AM

Quote:Am considering buying a compact and looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD, has anyone got one of these and what's it like?

Perhaps you should start a separate thread as this is not what was asked by the original poster

Just a thought
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
12 May 2015 2:07AM

Quote:Am considering buying a compact and looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD, has anyone got one of these and what's it like?

I`m not much of a fan of the super zooms.

What will it be used for.
mikehit 9 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
12 May 2015 7:42AM

If you are a professional who depends on the images to put a roof over your head then I agree.
If you are talking about an amateur who wants to record the moment then why do you need a DSLR and to tell someone 'you cannot shoot sport with a compact' is not very helpful - you will be more limited in what you can do and the shutter lag may be a pain for action shots but it is perfectly possible to shoot sports with one.
An iphone and a pair of binoculars, anyone?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/27/london-olympics-2012-smartphone
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dan+chung+iphone+olympics&biw=1920&bih=1040&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Vp9RVc3pCYX4UumqgHg&ved=0CEUQsAQ

12 May 2015 9:46AM

Quote:

If you are a professional who depends on the images to put a roof over your head then I agree.
If you are talking about an amateur who wants to record the moment then why do you need a DSLR and to tell someone 'you cannot shoot sport with a compact' is not very helpful - you will be more limited in what you can do and the shutter lag may be a pain for action shots but it is perfectly possible to shoot sports with one.
An iphone and a pair of binoculars, anyone?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/27/london-olympics-2012-smartphone
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dan+chung+iphone+olympics&biw=1920&bih=1040&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Vp9RVc3pCYX4UumqgHg&ved=0CEUQsAQ

Good reply
12 May 2015 4:30PM
However............

As he asked

"especially basketball and swimming since I usually shoot them on my free time"

Yes a phone can do it, as can compacts, just don't expect decent results as far as many would be concerned.

Basket ball, etc, low light, no flash normally, good luck

No good showing images taken on a phone shown at 5x7 let see tham at A3 and if THOSE images in the link are anything to go by, keep them Sad
mikehit 9 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
12 May 2015 4:38PM
Fair point, JR1.
It is always hard to compare prices of goods between countries but in the UK the Olympus EPL-5 with twin lenses (14-42 and 40-150) is as cheap as many lower end DSLRs and should do pretty well for those sorts of shoots
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Olympus

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 May 2015 5:38PM
Fair point but missing the point.

Your average amateur can't haul a 300 2.8 into the cheap seats, so they have to use a smaller unit that they can get past security with attracting attention. On the point of the phone, why would you want to print it at A3, it's a phone but the photos will on the news blog long before they arrive from the SLR.

Horses for courses.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.