compact flash cards

oll1e 12 57 2 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2007 4:55AM
hi folks ,this may sound daft to most of you but me a newbie to digital .when i used to buy film there were different types on offer and quality .does this apply to cf cards? ie if i buy say a sandisk ultra and say a fuji is there a diffrence between them like colour ,sharpness etc
thanks
ollie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

magnus 14 661 5 United Arab Emirates
27 Jun 2007 5:29AM
No difference in that respect Ollie, the differences you may see are write speed and reliability. That said - genuine CF cards are all good quality with write speed being the main variable in relation to price and that will generally only be noticeable to a pro or sports/action shooter where speed is an asset. For the average shooter like myself, it makes no difference.
I got a 2GB Sandisk CF very cheaply from e-bay which subsequently turned out to be a fake but it works just fine for me!
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
27 Jun 2007 8:10AM
Ollie...have a look at "picstop" very reasonable prices and very reliable.

keep off ebay for cf cards.

.....Mike
malum 15 625 1 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2007 10:55AM
I prepare to be shot down in flames here but unless you are doing long bursts of action photography the write speed isn't going to cause you a problem.

I use one of these

I do the occasional burst of shots on my 5D and I haven't had any problems with it keeping up (the camera buffer should lessen the effect of a slow card anyway) but mostly I shoot portraits.

Don't buy off ebay, they are mostly fakes, they may work but they are not what they say they are (much slower generic stuff) and you can buy a slower name card for less money anyway.
oll1e 12 57 2 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2007 11:07AM
many thanks ,just what i wanted to know ,quite a few folk have warned me about fakes esp ebay.Plus i see that sandisk 2gb cards are very cheap compared to last year .
thefatcat44 12 82
27 Jun 2007 11:50AM
I buy my 2gb Extreme III CF cards from Mymemory via Amazon - they are about 20 including postage and come in 3 days - genuine cards, great service

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.