Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Compact with RAW advice

Canonshots 9 201 13 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 6:12PM

Quote:The Canon Powershot G12 (latest 15) may be too small for your requirements, but do have a look at in in any case because it is a very powerful camera that shoots raw without a problem. In addition, it has an excellent zoom.

The Canon G series is certainly very good, but do beware of one thing - my G9 uses a raw format which is not supported by their main raw converter/editor - DPP. I had quite a spat with Canon over this, but they insist that it is intentional and they stubbornly refuse to fix what is obviously a bug in DPP. I don't know whether the later G series cameras have the same problem, but check before you buy.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 6:33PM
Apparently G9 was added in v3.9.2 (Oct 2010 which seems a bit late)
LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
24 Oct 2012 8:33AM
Although Nikon has the very compact P7700 with f2 and "RAW" - check out what the manufacturer means by RAW.
The Nikon uses Nikon NRW format (not the same as NEF) which can be edited to a limited extent in Nikon ViewNX2.
Unfortunately NRW files have to be converted to jpeg for editing in other software, including Nikon Capture NX2. I suspect you do not want to loose quality converting to jpeg before post processing in other software.
hobbo Plus
9 1.4k 3 England
24 Oct 2012 8:47AM
My little FUJI F600 EXR shoots in RAW format ......it is a very versatile little camera that is in my jacket pocket whenever I leave the house.....my other cameras are ....

SONY A300

PANASONIC LUMIX LX5

The little FUJI fills the gaps when I have certain lenses on the SONY or need more zoom than the LX5 can offer.

Hobbo
pabloisme 9 566 England
24 Oct 2012 8:53AM
I note all the comments above,
but I agree with parob I have a G12 after a lifetime (not finished yet) 50 years of using Leicas screw and bayonet
(amongst others nikon, canon, rollei, even pentax!)
and my G12 has a nice OLD fashioned feel of solidity OK heavy ish BUT you can go to the gym or get a coat with bigger pockets?

& I felt hampered by the hold at arms length cameras!
whilst I use the wife's on nites out or party's or holiday's

I feel much happier using a VIEWFINDER
old method, secures the camera at the face, brow and stabilises it weird eh!
the stunning quality surpasses most anything I have played with digitally.
gigs in low light are a doddle especially aided by the viewfinder stability!
and you can go new-boy on the block with the wizzy twisty lcd (not using the power draining lcd keeps you shooting)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.