Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Comparing Epson Scanner V500 and V700

webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
28 Dec 2009 6:38PM
Hi, I need to make a decision about which scanner to buy: Epson Perfection V500 Photo or the more expensive V700 version.
I tried to compare the specs, but it does not make a lot of sense to me (yes I am blonde - with grey BTW) Smile
It seems that the resolution of the V700 is a bit more but that the speed of scanning is the greatest difference.

I want to scan 25 years of negatives... and hope to restore some to a better quality. So the speed could be a major plus for this job.

Anyone out here who has the V700 or V500 and want to share their opinions? Read loads of reviews already today so I am looking for your EPZ guys/gals with lots of experience.

BTW Working with Vista Home Premium.

Jacqueline

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 15 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Dec 2009 8:45PM
GlennH 14 1.9k 1 France
28 Dec 2009 10:26PM
I'm looking at buying the V700 or V750, but one of the significant differences between these and the V500 is the Dmax rating. You may find the V500 is more than sufficient for negative scanning. Another point in the V500's favour will be its LED technology - which will make it more energy efficient and quicker to warm up.

I think I'm right in saying the V700 can accommodate twice as many 35mm negs in one sitting as the V500 (24 frames v 12). A dedicated film scanner might typically be able to handle a strip of six frames at a time, and would probably still shade the flatbeds for quality.

V700 and V500 appear to have the same max optical resolution.
AidanT 12 49 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2009 9:34AM
I have the V500 but only use it to scan 6x6 medium format as I have a dedicated 35mm scanner.

I have noticed that it scans negatives very well indeed and transparencies to a decent standard. I use it to submit to Alamy with no problems.

I can get good results lets say for 55mb for scanning transparencies but I feel I could easily go higher for negatives. The V700/750 comes supplied with a better medium format holder so that entire three frames per strip can be accommodated in a single scan, where as the V500 can only scan a maximum of two at a time. The V700/750 also quotes a higher Dmax figure.

One route for you could be to purchase independent scanner software such as Vuescan or Silverfast as these are meant to get better results from the scanner than the Epson software, I have to admit that I have not tried them.

There is also a chap on the Internet from the USA that sells third party film holders that are also meant to give superior results that will fit a wide range of scanners, you can order and receive them through the post, I must admit I can't remember his name just Google third party scanner film holders though. That has just reminded me that the V700/V750 comes with a film holder where you can adjust the height for better focusing where the V500 does not.

Hope this helps.

Aidan
webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
29 Dec 2009 11:23AM

Quote:Similar question earlier today Jacqueline...

Sorry about that, I tried to do a search but that thread did not came up in the Search Results...

Just looked again at the UK Epson website, but the specs that are used there are not the same specs as used on the Dutch website. On the latter they mention the scanspeed:
V500: 33 msec per line, V700 3.1 msec per line.

So I think that it is the speed (almost 10 times more) that makes the difference and the things mentioned above (more frames at once).

Read about the Silverfast software too. But when I go to that website they have so many different versions (10!) to choose from. Think I will rely on my PS skills to perfect the scans. It is not that I am going to sell the scanned images.

Thanks for your ideas and tips! Really appreciated! Good to know that I can rely on the EPZ guys for the best and honest tips! Grin

Jacqueline

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.