WEX Deals: Use code 10CAN to save 10% on select Canon lenses

Comparison Shots on 3 sensors - Passing the time while stuck in.

DaveRyder Plus
6 4.1k 2 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2020 1:08PM
With some time on my hands I thought I'd try a comparison (not very scientific) of my cameras against my old Stylus 1.
I've repeated a close up shot of a watch mechanism so try and discern any real world differences between 1-1.2, 1" and MFT sensor resolution. Some years apart as I no longer have the Stylus 1 and different software to edit the latest two.

Over all I see the MFT with 30mm Macro lens as better detailed - but there's not a lot in it.
But I can't really see much between the Lumix and Stylus1.

253884_1585400803.jpg

Olympus Stylus 1

253884_1585400837.jpg

Lumix LX15

253884_1585400855.jpg

OMD E-M10ii with 30mm Macro

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Without having seen your own conclusions, had a look at the three images and rate the MFT/macro shot distinctly the best of the three.
Chris
altitude50 15 18.3k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2020 3:04PM
I would put my 'tick' against the OMD EM 10ii image but there is not a lot between the bottom 2.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.1k 2 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2020 4:48PM
Now I have more even light I've taken another with my 30mm macro and longer exposure.
This (in my opinion) best of the group.

LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2020 9:31AM
One challenge is exactly where you will focused together with limited depth of field.
In the first 3, using the inner brass cog-wheel for detail, the Lumix has more detail and a little more contrast.

However if the in camera settings have not been adjusted to be as near equal as possible, combined with apparently different lighting on the 3 images, you are to some extent comparing apples to oranges.

The fourth image has a stronger light source (clarified with detail in the black background) - and slightly less detail in the brass cog-wheel than in your first set of 3 images.

I useful exercise could be to record the current menu settings for each cameras and then to adjust the settings to try to get 3 images more closely matching in contrast, white balance etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.