Compatible inks

dven Plus
14 42 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2006 8:53AM
I use an epson 2100 printer and have always used epson inks, i have just been given a load of compatible inks but have mixed feelings about using them .what do people think about such inks?

dven

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw 15 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2006 9:09AM
That's a good question.

Maybe I'm just a luddite, but I have remained faithful to the manufactures (Epson in this case) inks.

If cost was an issue for me, then I would try the 3rd party brands, however for me, the overriding issue is quality, and so I always use the Epson inks.

Mattw
NikLG 14 1.7k England
4 Dec 2006 9:16AM
I got a set of 'compatible' inks for my epson as they appeared to be a bargain. They didn't work at all. Weren't even recognised by the printer. I know some people on here have / are using such inks succesfully, but in my case I will steer clear of them in future.

Nik
peter shilton 15 1.1k England
4 Dec 2006 9:35AM
I have used them on my Canon and they appear to be just as good, and a lot cheaper. Recognised by the printer OK. Occasionally there is a duff one, just chuck it way.
ade_mcfade 15 15.2k 216 England
4 Dec 2006 9:53AM
I've used the fake canon inks from 7day shop and they tend to work ok. Really good for more throw-away printing like Xmas cards though I'm not sure about the longevity of the inks.

can't imagine they are archival after all.

but done some of my gormley shots with it and the colours came up really well.
PaulSR 14 511 England
4 Dec 2006 10:21AM

Quote:I've used the fake canon inks from 7day shop and they tend to work ok.

Have just looked on the 7 day shop site, but could only see genuine canon inks.
does anyone know where i can get compatible inks for a Canon Pixma MP170. I have searched everywhere online but cannot find any. I am hoping there are some out there somewhere
mattw 15 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2006 11:29AM

Quote:Really good for more throw-away printing like Xmas cards though I'm not sure about the longevity of the inks.

That's kinda my point, I tend not to do much 'throw-away' printing.

Mattw
Draig37 12 252 Wales
27 May 2012 9:22AM
Hi Dave

I beem using Fotospeed inks for years with no problems at all.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
27 May 2012 12:37PM
My experience has been mixed.

With one A3 Epson printer, compatible inks caused lots of nozzle clogging. Although the local branch of the refilling franchise honoured their guarantee to clear the nozzles, it got to the stage where we couldn't depend on the printer and it had to be scrapped. Because Epson print-heads are designed to last the life of the printer and spares are horrendously expensive, I'd only use genuine inks in an Epson printer.

With HP printers, the print-heads are user exchangeable and are reasonably priced so it's worth risking. We use CISS with our HP office printers and it's saved us a fortune because a 500ml bottle of top-quality black ink costs less than one OEM cartridge. We've used several litres of ink in one of the printers without any problem.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
27 May 2012 1:21PM
This thread is nearly six years old.
Cephus Plus
15 2.5k England
27 May 2012 2:07PM

Quote:This thread is nearly six years old.

Shall we have a celebration party??
thewilliam 11 6.1k
27 May 2012 2:28PM
It might be 6 years old but the question is no closer to resolution!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.