30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Compatible inks for Canon printer

alan h. 19 275 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 6:37PM
ive always used canon inks in my canon IP8500 printer
and am thinking of trying compatable inks.can anyone who uses compatable inks tell me of any pitfalls in using them. alan h.
Paree 16 616 3
23 Jul 2008 7:03PM
we always use the cheapest we can find,
never have any trouble
pareen
ckristoff 16 994 Wales
23 Jul 2008 7:38PM
Personally I would recommend sticking to Canon inks. Surely buying from somewhere like 7Dayshop wouldn't break the bank?

Frank.
Graham0602 14 72 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 7:45PM
hi alan h

You got yourself a really decent printer there that you presumably paid a lot of money for , so why skimp on the ink ??? Agree with ckristoff, look at 7Dayshop or wherever to get cheapest proper inks which will give you best results by a gazillion miles

G
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 7:55PM
I've always had excellent service from John at eezytrade
and the compatible inks are good quality.
bangalicious 13 1.3k 5 England
23 Jul 2008 8:00PM
Agree with the above....youve got yourself a decent printer...i would stick to the original canon inks as you cannot guarentee that the compatiable inks will not mess it up.

Anil.
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2008 10:05PM

Quote:cannot guarentee that the compatiable inks will not mess it up.

Worked fine in my printer for three years.
alan h. 19 275 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2008 10:31AM
thanks folks, perhaps on further thought i will stick to canon, alan
bangalicious 13 1.3k 5 England
24 Jul 2008 11:06AM

Quote:Worked fine in my printer for three years.

Just out of curiosity, is there any difference in the quality of the prints, if compared with the Canon cartrdiges?
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
24 Jul 2008 12:11PM
www.valueshop.co.uk serve me fine for my Canon inks. here

jas
dcash29 15 2.4k England
24 Jul 2008 5:19PM
Alan just watch which carts you buy, ive been using third party ones for over a year and have no problems.

Is this model the pixma IP8500 range that takes BCI carts?
featuredteacher 13 47 4 China
24 Jul 2008 5:32PM
Non-canon inks should be fine and compatibles are of an ever increasing quality Smile . Some people reccomend using genuine cartidges once in every 3-5 cartridges you use as apparently some of the cheaper inks can block print heads after a while, which is a solveable problem (just needs some cleaning out) but probably best avoided anyway.

It is extremely unlikely that you will get any more problems - as far as I know this is the only issue cheaper inks can cause. There can also be a quality issue with some makes - it is worth trying them out and printing some test prints to compare to ones from your original canon ink. Jet tec compatibles are well known for having a very high standard, though, and so are worth checking out as I have used them and found the quality to be as good as originals.

Also beware that using compatible cartidges may affect your printers guarantee.

Overall I'd strongly reccomend at least trying compatibles as the saving can be substantial and personally I find the amount printer manfufactuers charge for their products somewhat insulting.
macroman 18 15.3k England
25 Jul 2008 3:09PM
Agree with Jas, Valueshop were cheapest (when you take into account p&p) when I last bought some.

My experience of compatibles is that the colours fade/change much quicker than with genuine cartridges, had same problem with Epson too.

Had my canon, ip4300, for over a year and not needed to do a head clean so far>
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2008 3:39PM
I use JetTec inks from The Ink Factory for my Epson. I had a colour profile done and the results are outstanding. My earliest print with them is about 3 years old and no sign of fading yet.

They only clogged on me once and that was when I hadn't used the printer for several months. I bought some inexpensive flushing cartridges and problem solved.

Ink Factory regularly have buy one get one free offers too.

Ian
ellis rowell 16 2.0k United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 8:12PM
I have used Choice Stationery for years, the only time I had a problem they replaced the cartridges immediately. Some Canon Pixma models do not have compatibles available for them.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.