Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Completely and utterly flummoxed.... I require serious help please..

hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
3 Apr 2021 3:21PM
Until,recently, I used photoshop and Silver Efex to process my mono photographs... all shot in Raw then converted to 300 dpi JPEGS ... I home printed up to A4 with no issues.....The same went for having a few printed professionally as A4 Fine-Art-Prints.

Ok, so that was then..... now I really like the LUMIX GX9 M L MONO MODE which produces beautiful JPEGS ....many of which I post on here.... The files usually send full size with no issues....ok so far...
These, and my old files have printed beautifully in three photo-books with no issues whatsoever ..

Currently I use my iPad Pro for editing and processing using....INFINITY PHOTO...PHOTO MATOR ...Or ...PIXELMATOR PHOTO.... all results are filed as full size JPEGS... FROM 5MB up to 24 MB or higher....these print well at home but my ink is rubbish...

So, I send the full size files, all now checked to be 300 dpi.... to be professionally printed to fit on A4 glossy paper..... ... Iíve just received the pre-production proofs..all with a query....ALL are useless, have pixelated jagged edges...and poor definition... itís not the fault of my printers... the files were sent full size via... WE TRANSFER...

Please...what have I done wrong ? ... ..Take a look at my latest EPZ Posts... .. the portraits and the road repairs... HELP PLEASE!

Hobbo
3 Apr 2021 4:17PM
It sounds like the files are somehow being resized perhaps, so that they are a lot less than 300pdi at A4, although if as you say, they are large files and youíre not resizing them, then perhaps itís the printers at fault.

Btw, all a file needs to be, to be good up to a certain print size at 300pdi, is for it to have as many pixels along itís edges as the inches x300

So a 10x8 print for instance just needs to be 3000x2400 pixels.

Take a look at the dimensions of the files and see if they are at least 3510 x 2490 (A4) pixels and they should be perfect
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
3 Apr 2021 4:46PM

Quote:It sounds like the files are somehow being resized perhaps, so that they are a lot less than 300pdi at A4, although if as you say, they are large files and you’re not resizing them, then perhaps it’s the printers at fault.

Btw, all a file needs to be, to be good up to a certain print size at 300pdi, is for it to have as many pixels along it’s edges as the inches x300

So a 10x8 print for instance just needs to be 3000x2400 pixels.

Take a look at the dimensions of the files and see if they are at least 3510 x 2490 (A4) pixels and they should be perfect

A huge thank you for that.... I must explain that I suffer from Dyscalculia... a lack of numeracy.... a bit like Dyxlexia with words....so the best way to illustrate what one of my files looks like in....AFINITY PHOTO on my iPad Pro...is this screen shot...

150445_1617464792.jpg

Sorry I messed up choosing the wrong file...the right one is the last with sizes showing.....your observations please.

Cheers!
3 Apr 2021 4:50PM
Hi. Feel free to mail the full sized image to me if you want me to look at it
3 Apr 2021 4:53PM
I can see that the image is def big enough. Being a gritty contrasty black and white image though, you might be getting an accurate print. Feel free to take a pic of the print and show us why you think it looks wrong
3 Apr 2021 4:55PM
Did you resize the image to make it big enough for print? Pixel peeping the image I can see pixelization which could come from resampling the image larger than the original?
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2021 4:57PM
Looking at your screenshot from the iPad the pixel dimensions look good to go at 300ppi (not dpi please) I can only assume that on export from Affinity the image is being resized, have a look at your export setting, maybe screen shoot them and post...
3 Apr 2021 5:01PM

Quote:Looking at your screenshot from the iPad the pixel dimensions look good to go at 300ppi (not dpi please) I can only assume that on export from Affinity the image is being resized, have a look at your export setting, maybe screen shoot them and post...

Yep, ppi is the relevant term, but tat the end of the day, the image just needs enough pixels for each printed inch, which from the ipad image, it does seem to. I think the next thing to discover is if the images was resampled to be bigger than the camera output
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2021 5:08PM

Quote:the image just needs enough pixels for each printed inch

Absolutely, yes it does look as if some upsampling is going on here, my best guess is still export setting and it would be useful to see a screenshot in order to troubleshoot.
3 Apr 2021 5:10PM

Quote:
Quote:the image just needs enough pixels for each printed inch

Absolutely, yes it does look as if some upsampling is going on here, my best guess is still export setting and it would be useful to see a screenshot in order to troubleshoot.

Yep, that would help for sure. Regardless of dpi/Ppi (the latter pertaining to screen resolution) of something in the export is crunching the file, that would point at the problem. We need both ends of this story lol, the original file size from the camera and what gets exported 😊
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2021 5:19PM

Quote:the latter pertaining to screen resolution

and image resolution, but really pointless when producing images for display on a computer screen.Wink

If you pop onto Hobbo's profile you can click on the camera used and the details including the native file resolution are there. I am not convinced that trying to deduce what is happening from the images posted is the best way.
@Hobbo, can you post a screen shot of your export settings and hopefully some one will be able to help you.
3 Apr 2021 5:22PM

Quote:
Quote:the latter pertaining to screen resolution

and image resolution, but really pointless when producing images for display on a computer screen.

If you pop onto Hobbo's profile you can click on the camera used and the details including the native file resolution are there. I am not convinced that trying to deduce what is happening from the images posted is the best way.
@Hobbo, can you post a screen shot of your export settings and hopefully some one will be able to help you.

I have to disagree. Ppi is totally only about screen resolution. 300dpi doesnít equal 300ppi. Most monitors are 72ppi I believe. At the end of the day itís irrelevant what is being displayed, and only whatís sent to the printer in terms of dpi

Yes @hobbo, get us that data 😊
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
3 Apr 2021 6:41PM

Quote:Most monitors are 72ppi I believe.

It never fails to amaze me that people still struggle with this.

Linky thingy.
3 Apr 2021 6:49PM

Quote:
Quote:Most monitors are 72ppi I believe.

It never fails to amaze me that people still struggle with this.

Linky thingy.

No struggle here with me. I fully understand I just need to make sure there’s enough pixels to match the desired print size. So if a print lab wants 300dpi and o want a 10x8 print I send them a 3000x2400px image file. Simple as 😊

Dpi/Ppi/jpeg quality are nothing to me, just desired size and printer resolution.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
3 Apr 2021 6:51PM
150445_1617472137.jpg

This is a direct copy from the files I sent to the printer.... if it hasnít been compressed for EPZ... then yiu have what the printer received....

Fingerís crossed!

I really appreciate your help here...

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.