Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Computer help needed

Billyray 13 70 3 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2008 10:38PM
Please, as a total numpty with computers, I need help to upload photographs. All my pictures are kept in Microsoft Digital Imaging program and I don't know how to retrieve them to upload. Cheeky I know but a step by step guide would be brilliant if possible. I have been wanting to ask for some time but am so embarassed for being so computer illiterate, my excuse is not having had computer lessons in the 1940's. Many thanks in advance.
Ray
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
12 Jun 2008 10:40PM
You say to upload, to where?
12 Jun 2008 10:52PM
Sorry. To this site, I would like to show some of my efforts.
Ray
13 Jun 2008 12:54AM

Quote:That program is the default application for displaying pictures. Your pictures are probably in a folder within your Documents folder called My Pictures (or Pictures in Vista).

...and, as such, are possibly stored as JPEG files. From that point using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro etc.. import them/it and follow the instructions given in EPZ's FAQ section about sizes etc...
Kwosimodo 14 2 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 3:45AM
Other option is, click the start button left hand side, theres usually a search option on the right ( magnifying glass ).

Take the option pics and enter, it should look for and find all pics on your comp, if you put the cursor over the pic you want it should tell you waht folder its in......
simont 17 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 7:09AM
You can try and download Easy Thumbs it's free and reasonably easy to use or search the forums for help/advice on how to use it.

Simon
13 Jun 2008 11:24AM
Many thanks to Denny, Chris, Kevin, John and Simon for all your advice. Chris I will look into a course asap, never heard of 'CLAIT' until now but will start looking. Once again THANK you for your help.
Ray
ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 12:56PM

Quote: Well, if you start mucking about installing freeware to resize your photos to upload them, without some basic knowledge to fall back on you might end up losing the originals.

Always keep your original files in a folder of their own, copy to another folder and work on that. Do not work on the original files in the original folder. Then you will not lose them.

Of "Freeware", The Gimp is a very extensive program, takes some getting used to but has been compared favourably to Photoshop. I have used it for two or three years now. I also use MS Digital Image suite v10 (before it was incorporated into Vista). As I mostly use the Ubuntu O/S (Linux) now, The Gimp is my program of choice.
13 Jun 2008 4:16PM
Chris, many thanks for information on clait , I will contact local college during office hours next week.
Ellis, I don't know how to put files into a folder YET, but WILL learn.
Many thanks for input from everyone.
Ray
Barbaraj 14 450 England
13 Jun 2008 5:14PM
Hi Billy
Have you any granchildren or children who are computer literate?
They could show you a few moves. if you put your mouse over a photo Like mine beside my name and click on the right side of the mouse. It will list some words. One of those words is copy and another would be paste.
best wishes
Barbara
13 Jun 2008 9:26PM
Barbara, many thanks for info, I knew about right click but not when to use it, my 15 year old granddaughter is more interested in boys than helping grandad but will ask her younger sister if she can help. Many many thanks to everybody.
Ray
neptune 18 76 England
13 Jun 2008 9:54PM
Could you not open your photos in you Microsoft Digital Imaging program and then click file (in the menu at the top) and then "Save As"? You could then put them anywhere you like (desktop maybe) and also rename them so that you know where they are for uploading.
I'm assuming you are only going to upload a couple, and not your whole collection!!?

Ian
13 Jun 2008 11:10PM
John (Kwosimodo) Done as suggested, Many thanks
Barbara, Going to see granddaughter tomorrow, fingers crossed, good advice, Thank you.
Ian (Neptune) Done a couple, will do more over the weekend if time allows. Thank you too.
A big thank you to all who have taken the time and trouble to advise me.
Ray

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.