Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


2 May 2012 7:46PM
Hi everyone,
not been on for a while but I picked up on canon lense70-200 f4l
cannot find where it was because I have been off priceing them up.
My problem is...one is ais usm at over 1000 and the other is usm at 400+ so apart from the price what is the difference? Anyone know?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat Plus
14 19.1k 3 Canada
2 May 2012 7:52PM
The expensive one has Image stabilisation built in. It's easier to handhold when shooting and dampens out camera and lens shake. I had the other one and really liked it. I used it on a tripod.
2 May 2012 7:56PM
Hi Straycat thanks for that Is 400 a reasonable price for the usm..and do you know what it stands for
mikesavage 15 299 2 England
2 May 2012 8:05PM
USM = UltraSonic Motor.
2 May 2012 8:06PM
Cheers Mike
elowes 13 2.8k United Kingdom
3 May 2012 11:56AM
The 70-200 F4 with image stabalisation is better image quality than the none IS.
It can be used with the 1.4 extender and still provides great results.

I thought it a worth while upgrade from the non IS.

Have a look at http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ for a review of most things Canon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.