WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

confusion about Sigma 50mm macro lens

trifive 6 4
1 Aug 2013 2:39AM
Hi all....I am really new at digital photography so I have what may be a silly question. I purchased a Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 EX macro lens. What is the difference be between a D and DG lens? The description on the Ebay auction says the lens is a DG but the photo and the actual lens says D. I can't find any photos online of one that looks like the one enclosed in the photo, which is the one I received. Any thoughts... dsc-0566.jpg

Thanks for any help or advice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2013 8:11AM
Are you using Nikon by any chance?

If so - I think the D simply denotes the lens as having an aperture ring ( the ring with numbers such as 32, 22, 18...).

Two links I found may help:

Sigma's lens chart

And an alternative thread on a forum found on Google
1 Aug 2013 8:47AM
Every Sigma DG lens that I have personally handled has "DG" printed on it because (amongst other things) it denotes the more advanced lens coatings which Sigma are proud of and like to make a big thing about. I think D on it's own simply denotes the lens mount. I suggest you contact Sigma (their contact-us page is at http://www.sigmaphoto.com/about-sigma/contact-us) and ask them to confirm this because I have an uneasy feeling that a certain eBay seller may not be getting top feedback from you. Sad
bmh1 14 572 1 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2013 10:46AM
Just FYI, my Sigma 50mm macro which is ~7 years old looks like:

sigma50.jpg
trifive 6 4
1 Aug 2013 1:59PM
I am using a Nikon D3200. I took your advice and sent a question to Sigma. I sure hope I didn't get ripped off. I will reply back once I receive an answer

Thanks for all the advice
Dc is for aps-c sensors, DG for full frame and crop sensors Smile
trifive 6 4
1 Aug 2013 5:23PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a lens with markings like the one in the photo I included

Thanks
sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2013 5:41PM
I feel sure the D simply denotes the fact that it has a manual aperture ring - something only the Nikon model has. I'm sure you haven't been ripped off - have you tried using the lens?
petebfrance 8 2.9k France
1 Aug 2013 10:43PM
Hi
see this link:
http://www.kevinokephotography.com/sigma-50mm-f28-d-macro-ex/
if that's anything to go by then the lens you have photographed is an earlier version of the 50mm macro, the D, and not the DG macro lens.

I did a quick google and found these photos:
Sigma 50 mm Macro
which is how I found the other link....

I'm not sure what you do about it, though, if the words and pictures on Ebay didn't match etc. Perhaps it's worth what you paid anyway.....
SteveCharles 17 2.3k 18 England
2 Aug 2013 12:15AM
'D' actually means 'distance information' and is specific to Nikon, and an AF-D lens would have an aperture ring. On your lens it essentially means it is a Nikon AF-D type. In Sigma parlance, 'DG' appears to mean 'for digital'. The way the model no. is printed appears to change somewhat confusingly, probably depending on the age, but as far as I can see the EX DG D would tend to say 'DG MACRO D' on it; yours would appear to be a non or pre-DG version.
trifive 6 4
2 Aug 2013 2:18AM
It does fit my camera. I haven't heard back yet from Sigma but I guess my question to all the folks...... is the EX DG a better lens then the one I actually received....the EX D? This will determine whether I attempt to return it and try to get the one the auction actually described.

Thanks again
2 Aug 2013 6:08PM
is the EX DG a better lens then the one I actually received....the EX D?

I think you'll find that the answer is yes, by virtue of the older D model missing out on some refinements present in the later DG model, better coatings etc. Whether or not you would actually be able to see the difference in your finished images is another question, but that definately isn't the point - which is that you responded to an advert for a DG which is not what you seem to have received.
trifive 6 4
3 Aug 2013 3:47AM
That's the direction that I am going....as a matter of fact I contacted the seller and said I would like a refund. If the description in the auction says DG then that is the lens I expect to get. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.