WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Contacting members

raziel_uk 16 4.9k
2 Sep 2005 2:03AM
Yes, I know this has been discussed before but I'm bringing it up again from a slightly different angle.

In the business centre where I work there is a book designer (actually there are two) and we got talking about photos and photography yesterday and I told him about epz. He had a quick look at some of the photos and was amazed at the quality and professionalism. He said to me "If I wanted to purchase one of these photos how do I contact the photographer?"

Ah, now there's the rub, because you have to be a member of epz to leave a comment and you cannot contact someone privately. So it would mean the book designer would have to put their email address up publically so the photographer could contact him.

Yes, they really could be interested in some shots. He said to me he was doing a job a while back for a client who was a real skinflint. When he heard how much it would cost to get a photo from a picture library he wanted to get the cheapest possible option and they used a photograph from an amateur. The book designer admits the photo wasn't the best quality but "the price was right for the client".

Ashley
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2005 2:07AM
All they would need to do is email pete@ephotozine.com and ask for their request to be passed on to the member in question.

Easy.

Mind you why should our photos be sold to a skinflint for peanuts?
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2005 2:07AM
If he is serious about wanting to buy prints, the low cost of joining EPZ shouldn't pose too much of a problem? He could then leave a comment on any of the photos he wished to buy asking the photographer to contact him directly if they are interested.
Debbie.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
2 Sep 2005 2:11AM
Debbie - As I said in my post he has then got to publically display his contact details.

Ian - I never said the book designer was a skinflint, but the person he did a job for some time ago was the skinflint.

Ashley
conrad 16 10.9k 116
2 Sep 2005 2:11AM
Since every EPZ member has the chance of putting his or her e-mail address in his/her profile, I would think that it was the photographer's own responsibility to make sure he or she could be contacted. Many of us have an e-mail address in our profiles, so ...

Conrad
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
2 Sep 2005 2:15AM
But you know, Conrad, not everyone thinks their photos would be sellable and therefore may not put their email address up. But it could well be that exact person who's photo is wanted.

Besides the debate about having email addresses displayed has been gone over many times.

Ashley
conrad 16 10.9k 116
2 Sep 2005 2:17AM

Quote:not everyone thinks their photos would be sellable

True. Myself included. But I do display my e-mail address. Be it in a spam-safe way.

Quote:Besides the debate about having email addresses displayed has been gone over many times.

Okay. So what do you suggest?

Conrad
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
2 Sep 2005 2:19AM
Something like PMs.

Ashley
covey 15 1.7k Ireland
2 Sep 2005 2:22AM
Heres an idea that could make a few bob for the site.

For an extra fee (say a fiver) you get to have a sales option on your profile. The enquirer completes a standard form with details of the pictures , email address etc and this is forwarded automatically to the email address given on sign up.

That way the site gains, the poster (hopefully) also and email addresses are kept confidential.

T.
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
but he would still have to be a member to use PM to our members.

I know you didn't say the book guy was a skinflint, but at least one of his clients is and if he has paid peanuts to amateurs in the past he will do so again.

As I said, the simplest is for him to email Pete. No membership needed.
debster 16 693 3 England
I don't much like getting involved in heated debates but wanted to say that, whilst I personally don't advertise my email address on my homepage, I have added the address on a few comments, when it was appropriate. When I wanted to contact someone, I just emailed Pete and asked if he'd mind sending my email address on to said person.

No problem....

Debbie
conrad 16 10.9k 116

Quote:Something like PMs

Which is on either the Wish List or To Do List - not sure which.

Conrad

P.S. I do hope you meant Personal Messaging and not PMS...
;-D
onewildworld 18 696 4 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2005 2:23AM
Trust me Ashley, you don't want PMS...in fact, I don't think we want you to have PMS either.... Wink

Dave

Edit: Damn you Conrad, you beat me to it!

To add....Ashley, just because alot of members are amateurs, is no reason to sell pictures cheaply. That is what destroys the market and is one of the reasons why the prices paid in the UK market to pros are so much less than are paid in the US market. There amateurs either don;t sell their images, or if they do, the don;t sell them cheaply. The US publishing industry does pay because it has too. The same can't be said of the UK publishing industry. Most amateurs are only too pleased to get something published, payment is just a bonus, but it is ruining the market for anyone who wants to make money from their photography.

Dave
conrad 16 10.9k 116
2 Sep 2005 2:24AM
LOL, you could wait for that comment - it was bound to come!

Conrad
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
2 Sep 2005 2:26AM

Quote:But he would still have to be a member to use PM to our members.

Not if I was to do it on his behalf.

And I don't actually remember saying he paid "peanuts". Yes, it was cheaper than a photo library charge but I don't think an amateur would expect to get the same as a professional - and I assume most of the photo library submissions are from professionals.

Ashley

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.