Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Continuous and flash studio lighting

arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2011 4:57PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but.....
HMI continuous lighting, which is daylight(5400K) is quite expensive as it is powerful..
You can buy cheaper heads that give continuous daylight lighting, but I don't know what kind of power limits they have.
Tungsten is still usable and quite affordable, and gives a different, dare I say, more vintage look - it produces quite a yellow light, but can be compensated for with white balance adjustment(3200K) to produce a light similar to daylight
The only other issue is that continuous lighting makes the subject's pupils become small if the lighting is direct, and flash is quick enough in duration, not to affect the pupil adjustment.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Aug 2011 5:22PM
Having scrolled thro to Nov last year, ( this is my first day on the site) I see that a similar topic Re continuous V flash, was aired then .
I would however welcome any further comments.
5 Aug 2011 5:27PM
Thanks arhb, especially re pupil size, which I seem to remember enlarges, when one person is attracted to another, so with 'forced' small pupils, it would look as if the subject hated the photographer and any subsequent viewr (maybe)
5 Aug 2011 5:40PM
Spot on, and quite noticeable from my experience.
5 Aug 2011 8:44PM
I'll throw in my two-pennyworth here, mainly because it's something I'm currently researching myself.
And sadly for me, I'm a bit autistic - so when I research something I tend to go overboard with my acquisition of info! I'll try to simplify if I can, otherwise it'll end up an essay.
Or a novel.

Years ago continuous lighting was used in most studios, but the drawbacks were cost of equipment, short lifespan of lamps, and the fact that most of the energy consumed was converted into heat instead of light.
Flash has obviously now become the most widely used alternative.

However, I can foresee a possible trend reversal. Especially if they can develop LEDs to the point where the costs come down.

For now, CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) look like a viable alternative. Their light output is generally quoted as 5 x the energy consumed. Therefore a 50w CFL = 250w incandescent. 4 of those = 1000w! They run very cool considered the light output, they are available in 5200k - 5600k (if you dig around deep enough), and bulb life is normally quoted at between 6000 and 10000 hours.

I am planning some test shots using them during the next 7-10 days, I'll post the results somewhere if anyone is interested. Oh, and I'll have a look at the "pupil problem" at the same time!
Dave.
miptog 14 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2011 4:53PM
There are a couple of things that I haven't noticed being metioned in this thread, that relate to the creative use of flash v continious, and are advantages of flash:

1. The capibility to freeze motion
2. The ability to manage ambiet and flash seperately for creative effect.
6 Aug 2011 11:03PM

Quote:There are a couple of things that I haven't noticed being metioned in this thread, that relate to the creative use of flash v continious, and are advantages of flash:

1. The capibility to freeze motion
2. The ability to manage ambiet and flash seperately for creative effect.

Point 1, you're absolutely correct.
Point 2, I'm less sure about........ I suppose it's down to which effects you're aiming for. Can you not manage ambient light and your continuous light source separately?

And one I forgot to mention in my previous Post, I think the WYSIWYG aspect of continuous lighting may be a useful aspect for newcomers to studio work.

Dave L.
User_Removed 15 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 12:28AM

Quote:Thanks arhb, especially re pupil size, which I seem to remember enlarges, when one person is attracted to another, so with 'forced' small pupils, it would look as if the subject hated the photographer and any subsequent viewr (maybe)

I use flash and just had a look at a recent shoot to see if my last model fancied me.Smile

Nope.Sad
7 Aug 2011 8:28AM

Quote:Thanks arhb, especially re pupil size, which I seem to remember enlarges, when one person is attracted to another, so with 'forced' small pupils, it would look as if the subject hated the photographer and any subsequent viewr (maybe)

I use flash and just had a look at a recent shoot to see if my last model fancied me.Smile

Nope.Sad

arhb likes this.
Grampy 10 507 71 England
7 Aug 2011 10:47AM
I'm working on a video on that very subject it will be online on Tuesday
Phill
miptog 14 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 10:58AM

Quote:Point 2, I'm less sure about........ I suppose it's down to which effects you're aiming for. Can you not manage ambient light and your continuous light source separately?

Think I am correct in saying that a continous light source affects the ambient, whereas, due to the vert short duration of flash linked to the camera sync speed, it does not.

RE: Pupil size: Working in low light without a modelling light will cause the pupils to open
10 Aug 2011 12:40AM
Ah, well both of those sound logical.
Must get back to my laboratory for some more experimentation!
If I ever have a Eureka Moment while I'm there, I'll get back to you with the results of my findings.

Dave L.
p.s. I almost wish people here would stop making valid points and observations - my to-do list of things to try out isn't getting any shorter!
Grampy 10 507 71 England
10 Aug 2011 9:04AM
You might find this interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht99i2gu1Hk especially at the end when you see it's filmed with a light that cost 12
Phill
10 Aug 2011 11:16AM

Quote:You might find this interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht99i2gu1Hk especially at the end when you see it's filmed with a light that cost 12
Phill

Excellent video Phill - is the 12 light you used also daylight - as in ~5200K?
Grampy 10 507 71 England
10 Aug 2011 11:24AM
No , I actually with trial and error made it 2700K it's just a Halogen bulb inspection light with a 500w lamp, I used it to demonstrate that now we work on digital virtually any light source can be used if we take the time to white balance . I've been a photographer all my life and since starting these videos I've learnt more about photography than in the 40 years I was working Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.