Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Continuous EYE - EF on the Olympus E-M5 mark 2

14 Mar 2018 5:29PM
Has anyone had success with this?

I can get the eyeAF to work in single autofocus mode. but when in continuous AF, it does grab the face, but not the eye.

I wonder if either this web site was wrong (I can only see it on the Asia web site): http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/em5mk2/feature6.html

OR if there is a setting I accidentally have activated that deactivated the C-AF for eyes.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29 13 2.3k England
14 Mar 2018 9:01PM
Page 49 of your manual

15 Mar 2018 2:54PM
for continuous AF? I dont see that mentioned anywhere. I think you may have overlooked that portion of my question. Either that, or I'm missing something in the manual.
dcash29 13 2.3k England
15 Mar 2018 7:24PM
I have now tried the option and the camera is S*** when it comes to eye focus
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
17 Mar 2018 12:28PM
If you shoot bursts using Face and Eye Priority, the Olympus focuses once at the first frame and then maintains focus there. The alternative might be to use AF Tracking.
dcash29 13 2.3k England
18 Mar 2018 10:20PM
But its how to obtain eye focus in the first place. I only achieved it at a distance of 6 inches
19 Mar 2018 11:33AM
I thought the OP asked how you get CAF and eye focus? The answer is, you can't, as I said.

If the camera won't find and focus on the eye at all, there is something wrong. While Panasonic's eye focus works better, Olympus's is perfectly adequate. Neither my Olympus or Panasonics have any big problems in this respect but Olympus tends to jump around a bit more, especially in low light.
19 Mar 2018 12:46PM
Thanks for your replies, Lemmy. Yes, I was referring to the C-AF and eye AF.

The EYE autofocus does work on my camera, and it's pretty accurate (although, like you said, in low light....not so much)

But I think I was led into false hope after reading that web site. To be fair, I can't find that anywhere else, so maybe it's not an "official" release from Olympus. Thanks for confirming. I honestly wasn't sure if I need to change a setting or disable a setting to cause that to happen.
dcash29 13 2.3k England
19 Mar 2018 12:58PM

Quote:If the camera won't find and focus on the eye at all, there is something wrong
I wouldn't have thought 5 led 470lm lamps would be classed as low light but probably they are?
19 Mar 2018 3:45PM
I am not sure he's indicating that you were shooting in low light. He mentioned that if it cant find the focus, there may be something wrong....and it appears that there may be something wrong with your camera.

My camera eye AF seems to work pretty consistently, but it's just the continuous AF that I had assumed was possible, because of that web site, which appears to be inaccurate.

To your point, there does seem to be some distances where it finds the face, but never indicates it found the eye.
dcash29 13 2.3k England
19 Mar 2018 4:20PM
No I thought that, I didn't want to blame the camera before trying again. However after trying again in daylight, the white box appears using 40mm at 6 feet but no eye lock on. At 12mm it fails to locate the face in the frame.
19 Mar 2018 5:11PM
Hmmm....I may have to try some of those distance tests when I am back home. As stated, I've had success but its very possible I've been at the same distance with the same lens each time. Now I am curious.
19 Mar 2018 8:28PM
If your camera won't find and lock on in normal conditions, there must be something wrong with the camera. I can just set mine on eye focus and point it at a face - it works just as well with a photograph. It obviously can't work at 5m with a 12mm lens but anything normal should work just fine.

dcash29 13 2.3k England
19 Mar 2018 9:44PM
Or it maybe be pale face, pale walls, blonde hair?

Thanks Lemmy, nice to see you back
20 Mar 2018 10:15AM
Thanks! Very low contrast might affect the operation but the condition would have to be of the order that the camera wouldn't focus at all. I personally wouldn't use the left eye/ right eye options but just the Face & Eye Priority because it'll focus on the nearest one which is generally what you want.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.