Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Continuous Ink Supply

tonyvizard 19 19
24 Oct 2001 2:47PM
There appears to be some 'gentlemans agreement' around preventing publicity/reviews of the continuous ink supply systems developed recently (any comment Peter?). Personally, I'm fed up with overpriced, wasteful OEM cartridges and for some time now have been refilling which of course does reduce costs considerably. I find though that I generally only get one or two refills per (lexmark) cartridge before it gives trouble, but this does cut costs. I'm thinking now of buying a new printer and equipping it with a CIS. I know of two, the Permajet and a US one I found on the net. The former one is, I believe, up and running. Does anyone have one? Is it a worthwhile investment given the cost? Has anyone built their own?
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
25 Oct 2001 12:08PM
I haven't used either, so that's the only reason we haven't commented, but your mail has promted me to get off my rear seating device and look at reviewing one in the near future...watch this space!
I have just got the HP1315 printer which has left my epson 760 as a "spare" which I intend to use with the permajet CIS. I'll let you know how I get on with it
xp1 13 6 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2015 10:27AM
I have been using the CIS system on all my printers for around four years. Brilliant money saving system but would not recommend for professional use.
BHSnapper 12 14 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2015 10:44AM
On the basis of my experience, Fotospeed produce excellent refillable cartridges which I use in my Epson 1500W.
Currently installed for over 18 months they have proved consistently reliable. Rarely have blocked heads, they are excellent value for money. You can buy them with ink provided or supply your own. The upside of a CIS is that cartridges never run out of ink. The downside of refillables is the need to keep an eye on supply levels.
The only other proviso is that the printer MUST be profiled - you cannot use the generic profiles or allow the printer to control the colours! Fotospeed also sell their own brand of inkjet papers and offer a full profiling service.
Now that Epson are producing their own inks in bulk these may be an alternative but I continue to use Fotospeeds own inks and profiles.

I would also add that Fotospeed have excellent customer support!
Howard
thewilliam 12 6.1k
27 Jan 2015 11:53PM
I've recently bought a CISS for our new office printer. The company rep did say that printer manufacturers seem to modify their products to make life ever more difficult for the CISS user.

Have you noticed that ink carts for office printers are getting ever smaller? Our old HP1200 has 69ml black whereas current printer carts are about a third of that size. We'd reckon to go through about 2 litres of ink during the working life of a printer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.