Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Controversial prizes for female Spanish squash champions

rhody 17 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
22 May 2019 3:40PM
I can't believe that given today's culture of awareness and sensitivity a Spanish Squash Club awarded these as the top women's prizes.
I felt guilty for laughing at the ridiculously insensitive prizes and then I just could not believe what I was reading on the BBC website

Sexism in Spanish Squash Championship

I'm lost for words. I shudder to think what they would present the male Champion with!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
22 May 2019 4:44PM
I'm no not surprised the officials stepped down. If the prizes were advertised beforehand then i'm also surprised anyone entered in the first place - male or female.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 May 2019 10:04PM
Let me know when to stop laughing ‘cos it’s not happening without a written notice to quit. 😂
23 May 2019 6:46AM

Quote:Let me know when to stop laughing ‘cos it’s not happening without a written notice to quit. 😂

I'm so pleased it's not just me then Grin Wink
The friends I've told dissolve into laughter and then ask me if I'm joking.
Without the credibility of the BBC article, I don't think anyone would have believed it.
23 May 2019 6:55AM

Quote:I'm no not surprised the officials stepped down. If the prizes were advertised beforehand then i'm also surprised anyone entered in the first place - male or female.

The men were fighting hard for their first prize of a bag of squash balls and a tube of KY jelly.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
23 May 2019 8:39AM
Can the word squash in Spanish be miss interpreted in some other way? Was it a Benny Hill style gag?
altitude50 15 16.1k United Kingdom
23 May 2019 12:06PM
The glory is not in the winning, but in the taking part!........................SadSadSad

I'll wager that the organisers received the prizes for zero Euros. Tight.
23 May 2019 3:02PM
You need 2 people for a game of Squash.
Anyone would think the prizes were inclined to reward people for playing with themselves.
23 May 2019 3:05PM

Quote:Can the word squash in Spanish be miss interpreted in some other way? Was it a Benny Hill style gag?

I tried various options in Google Translate - but I couldn't find anything along those lines.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.