Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Convenience lenses - R they worth it?

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
12 Jun 2007 1:13PM
The Wide angle - telephotozoom sounds a photographers dream.......... Capturing the moment at the zoo, a quick adjustment from 28mm to 200mm or 300mm, no need to change the lens and miss a thing. I have been warned heavily though there is a significant drop off in quality with these lenses because of the extreem focal lengths it is designed for, yet technology has mooved on since then. Is the lack in quality that obvious though with these lenses. On a scale of 1-10 how highly would you rate thier quality now with say a 28-80 or 70-300 lens ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog 14 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2007 1:34PM
Not a simple answer.

I would rate quality as an 8. However quality is not the only factor here. Price, weight and convience and how wide the lens can go, and what you want to shoot are also factors.

Ideally I would go for a "walk-a-bout" (18-200) type lens as well as the individual zooms.

The gap is closing, and post processing also helps.

Mike
MeanGreeny 14 3.7k England
12 Jun 2007 1:39PM
David,

This is a fairly subjective question so you'll only get subjective answers of little value.

Take your camera to a local shop and take some pictures with your own camera with the shops lens and one of your own. Make sure you get a wide variety and that no errors on your part creep in e.g. take a monopod. Then go take a look at home.

Of course, the matter of personal standards comes into it as well. What I think is unacceptable would be no problem for others and vice versa.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2007 4:53PM
It depends very much on the make. I used to have a Sigma 28-300 and it is without doubt the worst lens I have ever had the misfortune to use.
MrTooth 14 17 England
12 Jun 2007 11:00PM
Photozone.de have a useful enough lens table with user rankings and a more empirical (numbers rather than words) rating on factors of lens quality.

Also, Fred Miranda's site has a user review section that is fairly representative in lens quality rating as the site above. The two correlate quite well overall.

So, with all this info, it's a little easier to make choices about perceived lens quality issues and find the pick of the crop regardless of manufacturer or extreme subjective viewpoints.

Good quality (single) walk about lenses are hard to find on a 1.6 cropped APS-C sized DSLR body though. You can't always go strictly by the numbers I think, since the more affordable Canon 17-85mm IS lens seems like a case in point where it'd do the job quite nicely regardless of whether it got a perfect score or not - it's not always easy to tell as everyone has different experiences.

28-300mm 28-105mm 70-200mm as good (well rated) examples...
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2007 7:33AM
The Nikon 18-200 is definitely worth it, it makes a great walkabout lens when you can't/don't want to carry extra lenses.

The quality doesn't match that of primes but it is pretty much on a par with any zoom.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.