Converting a K3 for infrared

PeterMcc 5 1
13 Aug 2014 3:43PM
Hi - I love my K-3 - I also love dabbling with infrared photography but have sold my previously converted infrared camera. A conversion service talked me into the Fuji X-T1 being the best to convert to IR (I like the idea of the EVF) but I'm looking at the X-mount Fuji lens that have hotspot problems and seeing many K-mount lens don't have this problem - now I'm thinking my present K-3 is a better choice to convert to infrared - I'd replace it with the Prestige version of the K-3 that just came out.

Has anyone converted a K-3 for infrared who can comment on experience shooting with it? If they've also shot with the IR converted Fuji X-T1 and could comment on the difference, that would great.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee 15 6.8k 26 Scotland
13 Aug 2014 4:45PM
I have no idea about the Pentax, but having done a bit of research recently it seems to be that the likes of the Lumix G series are now considered about the best way to go because they do not have problems with 'hotspots' so you can use the entire range of lenses with impunity. Also there is no problem with focusing being slightly 'off' due to the IR focal point being different to white light and you can use normal speed and ISO settings.

In light of this I bought a Lumix GF1 from that well known auction site which had under 300 shutter actuations for 90 and had that converted.
I have used all of my lenses on it (from 7.5mm fisheye to 45-200mm ) and had no problems at all with any of them.

There are several examples on my page.
PeterMcc 5 1
13 Aug 2014 4:54PM
I've also heard that the Lumix is a good camera to convert. Thank's for sharing.
Adee 9 7 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2017 6:35AM
Hi. I use a full spectrum Panasonic G1
GeorgeP Plus
12 55 23 United States
5 Nov 2019 3:44AM
I had my Pentax K10D converted to IR and I am happy with the results. I have posted a few images on this site. However, I admit that the IR camera gets less use than I expected so I recommend that you think carefully and don't invest too much. IR is interesting, but it is a niche area.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.