Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Converting DSLR to Infra Red

Dave_Canon 9 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Mar 2010 7:57PM
I am seriously considering converting my EOS 20D to IR. I have tried using an IR filter but exposure times were 30 seconds in bright sunlight. For the average landscape the foliage move and clouds move leaving most of the image blurred. If I convert my camera to IR, I will be able to use normal exposures. It is possible to buy the parts and do it yourself and I would be resonably confident to do so. However, the saving is not that great so I am inclined to pay for the conversion. Advanced Camera Services of Norfolk have been recommended to me. Has anyone on this forum any experience of converting a DSLR to IR?

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock 14 3.5k United Kingdom
7 Mar 2010 8:17PM
ACS did a good job on my 10D last year - including adjusting the autofocus for IR light, something which I hadn't expected, that hadn't even occurred to me and was very welcome.
MrGoatsmilk 7 1.5k England
7 Mar 2010 8:20PM
just sent you a pm Dave
7 Mar 2010 8:30PM
Stu thanks for the pm, I will follow up. I had some problems in replying by pm.

Dave
col.campbell 11 929 4 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2010 11:30PM
Perhaps a tad off-topic, but I thought that longer exposures were necessary in IR because the sensor responds to IR energy, but much less so than visible light. I also thought IR conversions merely replaced the protective cover of the sensor with the equivalent of an IR filter.

Have I got it all wrong, can you please explain what I've misunderstood?
Pete Plus
14 18.7k 96 England
7 Mar 2010 11:38PM
I'm using a converted Pentax *ist D. I really like the results. My latest is uploaded yesterday in my portfolio.
I wrote about converting a DSLR to infrared in the articles section.

Quote:I also thought IR conversions merely replaced the protective cover of the sensor with the equivalent of an IR filter.

They take away the IR Cut filter. The exposures are fast, unlike when shooting through an IR filter on the lens.
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.1k 6 England
7 Mar 2010 11:52PM
Until quite recently WE were selling sigma SD14`s dirt cheap, an ace camera if you can still find one for IR.

Converting`s dead easy, simply remove the filter Smile
8 Mar 2010 9:40AM
Pete, thanks your article was helpful and there are some further useful links at the bottom of the article. You have some cracking photographs Pete not just the IR's.

Dave
Pete Plus
14 18.7k 96 England
8 Mar 2010 10:13AM

Quote:Pete, thanks your article was helpful and there are some further useful links at the bottom of the article. You have some cracking photographs Pete not just the IR's.

Thanks Dave. I'm happy to have helped.
col.campbell 11 929 4 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 11:48AM
Thanks Pete
ebadilles 12 12 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 12:11PM
Hi all,

I have canon 300D, would it possible to convert it to IR?

Thanks,
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 12:21PM

Quote:Hi all,

I have canon 300D, would it possible to convert it to IR?

Thanks,

Yes it is, have a look at Pete's article or Google 300D IR conversion. You can get DIY kits or send it off.
ebadilles 12 12 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 12:41PM
Thanks for the quick reply strawman.
RoyBoy 10 179 2 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 1:08PM
I had my 20D converted and pleased that I did. It is something that I would definately recommend. There were two types available. One which is for colour/mono IR and the other if you just intend taking B&W. I was told that the latter, which I went for, produces a slightly more contrast/detail in the image but you lose the colour IR option. In reality I suspect there might not be much in it but talk to them first.

As I said, although pricey, I thought it was money well spent.

Regards
Roy
9 Mar 2010 7:13PM
Roy thanks for that information. I have decided to defintely go ahead but had not realised that there was an option which excluded colour IR. I will look into that but I have read an excellent article on colour IR by Clive Haynes so I am tempted to go that way unless ther eis some disadvantage.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.