Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Coolpix 5700 or alternatives

richardmn 15 2 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2004 11:05AM
The NIkon Coolpix 5700 seems to get very good reviews and is now available at a pretty good price.

However the reviews are a couple of years old now and technology seem to be moving fast so I haven't sen anything comnparing it to more up to date models

IS it still a good choice or has something better come along since?

I am looking to spend up to 500 (But preferably less) and want lots of manual options, a decent zoom and the ability to use external flash

What else should I consider?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved 15 526
8 Jun 2004 11:14AM
I'd consider a Minolta A1 instead. They're both good quality 5Mp cameras but the A1 has anti-shake, a vastly better user interface and quicker focusing.
richardmn 15 2 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2004 12:39PM
are the 8Megapixel versions of these (the 8700 and A2) worth the extra?
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2004 12:47PM
Personaly I do not think so. If you spend that much money spend some more and have an SLR.
abtuie 15 7
8 Jul 2004 1:36PM
Richard

You could also look at Fotosense.co.uk - they are selling the Olympus C-8080 WZ for 570 - they are an excellent firm to deal with. If you do decide to deal with them ask for "Taf"
mshepherd 15 667 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2004 1:46PM
how about cameraworld.co.uk a fuji s7000 new is 380 and refurb (with 12mth gtee) is 300
UserRemoved 15 526
8 Jul 2004 1:54PM
It depends on what you mean by extra. The A1 is only cheaper than the A2 because it's an old model. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the A1 is still in production). The A2 doesn't cost any more than the A1 when it was current. The improvements on the A2 are better resolution, faster focusing and much better EVF. The lens has also been improved. The downside is that there is marginally more noise.

I bought mine, on Tottenham Court Road, a week after it came out for 620. You can get them below that now. A dSLr will give lower noise levels in marginal conditions and higher ISO capability. The downside is that they're bigger and that buying the body is the first instalment. The cheapest dSLR you can get is the Canon 300d and for about 1000 you could get a decent set up with (non-Canon) telephoto and macro lenses that would match the A2 in range - image stabilisation would be more. That's still a very good bargain. But the thing is that you're building a system, and you need to know that it's the system you want for the foreseeable future. If you commit to Canon then you're going to be buying their next dSLR because you'll have their lenses. Same if you go down the Nikon route. But in the very near future Minolta will have a dSLR out that has IS in the body. OK it'll be about 1500 to start with, but that sounds like a better route to me. Also on the horizon are the 4/3 system dSLRs. Canon and Nikon can see the problem and are pushing their entry-level dSLRs to lock people into their systems.

The 600 spent on a stop-gap A2 may seem cheap when the new systems arrive.
zaheer 15 4
9 Jul 2004 12:21PM
Here are your true alternatives in this price range (in my priority order):

1) Panasonic Lumix DMC f-10
2)Konica Minolta Z3
3)Olympus c-5060
4)Canon G5
5) Nikon CP 5700 itself...........

I have ordered no.1, leading features are

1)f/2.8 12x optical LEICA (german) zoom, the aperture
f/2.8 operates for the entire focal range...that is 35-420 mm in 35 mm equivalent.....the single biggest winnig reason

2)Internal Stabilization of 12x zoom
3)all the manual features
4)3rd party non-dedicated flash can be mounted

Price paid 480 USD including shipping and taxes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.