Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Copying 35mm transparencies - Flatbed scanner vs slide copy adapter?

carina 19 2
23 Feb 2002 6:13PM
I have a huge collection of slides taken on my SLR camera. I'm just getting into digital photography, and want to somehow get them onto my computer, then stored on CDs.
I already have an Acer ScanPrisa640UT flatbed scanner, which can scan slides, but I was thinking of buying a slide copy adapter for my Nikon 885 Coolpix.
Which would give the best quality images?
Thanks for your help!
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
1 Mar 2002 9:02AM
There won't be a lot in it if you are only making small prints as the interpolated resolution of the Acer will be matched by the optical degredation of using a slide copier. If you want to enlarge to 5x7in and beyond the Nikon should give slightly better results. The best option would be to buy a purpose made film scanner, especially as you have a huge collection to scan. Look out for a secondhand Minolta Dimage Scan Dual or Nikon Coolscan III.
lasereye 18 1
4 Jan 2003 10:41PM
You might want to check out a device called ShotCopy that you can use with your digital camera if it can focus on the slide. You can find it all http://www.shotcopy.com

I found it can also be used to copy negatives; both b/w and color. It's faster than scanning or using a slide copier.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.