Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Copyright - stolen photograph

LauraVest 15 33 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2010 10:47PM
Hi everyone,

I've looked through a good few previous posts before posting here and couldn't find the help I need.

I did a shoot last year for a local magazine shooting the newly crowned 'miss (local place)'. The shoot went great and everyone was happy with the shots. I then became friends with the model on Facebook and saw that she had used scaned images from the magazine on her page so asked her to credit me. She replied and asked me if I could send her the files so she didn't have to use scans, I said this was fine and emailed them as small jpegs.

I have since found that the website advertising the search for miss xxxxx 2010 is using one of my photos to advertise it. They've cut out the model poorly and it appears on each page of the site. I know that the magazine wont have agreed to this on my behalf as I've had them contact me in the past to allow such things and they fully understand the images are my copyright and they aren't allowed to give out my files once they have used them in print.

I don't know if the photo they are using is from one of my low res files or a scan as it has been reproduced so badly. I don't know how best to approach it. I think I want the image removed because it is poor quality and doesnt make me look good - and they don't have my permission anyway. I doubt that I could get any money from them so don't really want to go down that route. I just don't know how to proceed with it. Do I contact the website people, or the organisers of the event?

Please give me your opinions on this,

Thanks in advance,

Laura
Brom 17 804 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2010 11:54PM
have you contacted the website/competition organisers?
LauraVest 15 33 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2010 8:09AM
No I haven't contacted anyone yet. I just discovered it then got straight on here to get some advice. I have taken some screen shots of the website though showing my photograph on it.
Brom 17 804 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2010 8:29AM
Get in touch with them, be polite and either ask them to remove the shot or to adequately compensate you for its use, or a combination of the two. If its been bodged as you say maybe a credit isnt the best option Smile

If they disagree to this inform the that you have rights in this situation and would unfortunately have to take them to court. Im sure they wouldn't need the hassle and will work something out with you.

Might be interesting finding out how they got the image too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.