Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Copyright on pictures taken at a Concert

rogerdoger 8 17
2 Dec 2019 11:29PM
I went to a pop concert last week and took my camera along. I took some shots during the concert. No officials challenged me, although I know of another photographer who was, and he was told to put his camera away and told not to take images. Lots of people were taking video with their mobile phones. I was using an Olympus and 40-150 lens. What is the position regarding using these images in say, national camera club photographic exhibitions. They are not being sold for profit, but if accepted, then they my well be publishing in the exhibition catalogue.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
3 Dec 2019 1:02AM
There is a fairly comprehensive document about UK photography copyright HERE

Also you can read about photographers' rights HERE

sausage Plus
15 609 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2019 9:15AM
I think the biggest problem would be if you were selling the pictures, bigger name bands don't like that. I have put images into competitions and have had no problems.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2019 10:28AM
There should be no problem in using the images in club, national and international competitions as they do not normally result in any income. If you were to commercially exploit such images then I am sure they could sue and gain at least a share of, if not all, your profits.
I tend not to be concerned about images entered in competitions as many are taken at re-enactments, public events or a model hired in a studio.

Dave
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2019 9:30AM

Quote:
Also you can read about photographers' rights [link=http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/]HERE[/link

There is good guidance to your situation in the link.
You were on private property and likely paid for a ticket.
What do the ticket conditions say?
There seems no privacy issue as you say many others were taking pictures, although you had a lens with a much narrower angle of view than mobile phones being used.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.