Change gear with our partner, MPB

Copyright symbol in photoshop elements 12

mixpics 9 1 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2015 10:27PM
HI All
Can anyone help me please, Ive done many copyright symbols before using keys ALT then numbers 0169 but for some reason tonight it just wont put the C in. other letters and numbers are fine?
Have I pressed something to stop this working?

Much appreciate any help.
Mick
ChrisJP 13 2.0k Wales
14 Oct 2015 8:57AM
Make sure the 'Num Lock' is on. Only use the number pad on the right, not above the letter keys. Can't think of anything else.
ChrisV 14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2015 10:39AM
I assume you're on a PC? On the Mac most fonts access the copyright symbol with alt-g ©.

I don't know where it is in windows, but there should be a utility for your expanded glyph set [glyphs are all the individual characters available in a font], which should display a grid with every character you can cut and paste from. Do a search for 'glyphs' or 'expanded character set'.
lobsterboy Plus
17 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2015 10:52AM

Quote:I don't know where it is in windows, but there should be a utility for your expanded glyph set [glyphs are all the individual characters available in a font], which should display a grid with every character you can cut and paste from. Do a search for 'glyphs' or 'expanded character set'.

Start > Search for "Character Map" is what you want for that.
adrian_w 14 3.8k 4 England
14 Oct 2015 1:44PM

Quote:Make sure the 'Num Lock' is on. Only use the number pad on the right, not above the letter keys. Can't think of anything else.

Thanks for that Chris ( & Mick). I never knew how to do that before, a very useful tip.
mixpics 9 1 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2015 3:55PM
Thanks for help all, tried today and typed in the usual way I've always done it ALT 0169 and it worked first time, must have been some gremlin in my P.C last night, number lock was on too?
Many Thanks
MickSmile
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
15 Oct 2015 2:49PM
If it happens again it's very easy to copy and paste it from elsewhere, it's often at the bottom of web pages, documents like manuals etc.

©h®1$

15 Oct 2015 8:27PM
One thing which would save you time and hassle in the future is to make the Copyright sign into a brush and then all you have to do is add it in a separate layer at the end of your work. Making a brush of your own in Elements is fairly simple - good tutorial here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNDSMpeTXg

One tip if you do this is to also save a version in your files as crashes or updates can occasionally clear the brush palette.
16 Oct 2015 2:51PM
Surely by the time you go and select the brush, stamp it, switch to the text tool and then type the text you require after your copyright symbol, then make sure they are the same size - you could have just used only the type tool to do the whole thing?

It doesn't save time and it doesn't save hassle.

Quote:One thing which would save you time and hassle

16 Oct 2015 4:40PM
Yes it does because it a) prevents the problem that the OP had, b) anything can be included in the brush so what ever you normally type after the copyright symbol can be included i.e. ©Chris L, c) sizing is easily done with Ctrl+square brackets. One action only! No copying and pasting.

How did I guess that you would have a moan!!!
saltireblue Plus
11 12.2k 76 Norway
16 Oct 2015 6:35PM
This is probably one of the easiest ways to make a watermark brush action. Takes 10 seconds at the end of your processing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KweeZ2opDM
16 Oct 2015 7:08PM
So Angela, rather than typing © Chris Longley 2015 I still type it but then make it into a brush for next time?

What if I want to change the font, do I have to make a new brush? What about the the date?

It sounds like a super tip, but I'm just going to type the text I need, when I need it. It takes less than half a second.

Quote:No copying and pasting

That isn't how myself or the original poster normally do it. We know the fast keyboard based method which requires no brushes, copying or pasting.

16 Oct 2015 8:25PM

Quote:How did I guess that you would have a moan!!!

Don't think it's a "moan" just an alternative method/point of view....

What's making people so touchy these days..Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.