Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Coronavirus - projects for the lock down

Willpower 10 505 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2020 5:37PM
I've started "Digitising" 5.000 + slides. So that's going to keep me busy for a while Grin
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2020 8:44AM
A lot depends on how much lockdown - and where you live.

In the UK we continue to be medically advised to exercise - while also avoiding social contact to reduce the spread of the virus.
As a keen pedal cyclist in living in the Yorkshire Dales with a box of sandwiches, a flask of coffee and cycling on quiet roads I can continue to do both.

What does concern me is many having either a lack of common sense - or worse a complete disregard for what is required.

Yesterday I had an urgent business meeting that could not be postponed and took the opportunity to call in Sainburys in Ripon to replenish some food I cannot buy locally.
Every isle in Sainsbury's Ripon was 3 deep in customers and the weekly market across across the road was heaving with people talking to each other while standing less than 3 feet apart.
Some supermarkets seem to restrict the number of people in the store at peak shopping times (basic common sense) - and many generally elderly people have yet to accept they can have conversations while standing 6 feet apart Sad

I hope it does not become necessary to bring in a full lockdown in the UK - but the disregard of many in the UK may lead to lockdown becoming the next measure.

I do sympathise with an elderly person with a medical condition living at the top of a block of flats.
If many in the UK do dot take the current precaution levels more seriously - more elderly frail people will die.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2020 3:16PM
speaking as one on the "At Risk" list and an "Old" the real problem is not us old people dying (problem solved) but the fact that if we do get Covid - 19 we will demand a proportionately much greater effort to keep us alive thus preventing the treatment of many others more likely to survive

This is why the strategy for the old to protect themselves is statistically logical and why it should be taken so much more seriously for us than any other age group and I am sure that many if not most of us Olds are willing to sacrifice our "freedom" in the best interests of the majority of younger people

I just wish some of the BS around this was dispersed and there was more transparency about the logic behind the advice, we are old but not stupid and can easily see what is behind the strategy
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2020 4:12PM

Quote:
Every isle in Sainsbury's Ripon was 3 deep in customers and the weekly market across across the road was heaving with people talking to each other while standing less than 3 feet apart.

Went to B&Q for paint etc for bathroom and en-suite freshen up.
The store was controlling entry - about a 10min wait outside that was off set by no queue at check outs.

Responsible shopping and people generally in good humour.

(for groceries we have used deliveries for a couple of years now and only call in for flowers etc that are non-delivery items)
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2020 7:26PM

Quote:(for groceries we have used deliveries for a couple of years now and only call in for flowers etc that are non-delivery items)

I hope its working better for you and it is down here for us.

Sainsbury's are taking no more new on-line customers, Waitrose can't provide slots for either click and collect or home delivery so I guess we will have to manage the best we can
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2020 8:37PM

Quote:

I hope its working better for you and it is down here for us.

Just checked for after tomorrows delivery.... all full for next 3 weeks BlushSad
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Mar 2020 9:52PM
I can see it coming that only those classed as vulnerable will be eligible for home delivery.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.