Correct resizing for prints

bazhutton 12 25 England
23 Oct 2008 12:46PM
Good afternoon all.

In the past I have simply sent full size files for online printing & then simply selected the size I wanted them printing at using the online printer's tools.

Now, I want to prepare files to send for optimum printing quality.

For example, I want to print some photos at 12in x 8in. Am I supposed to resize the photo file to 12 x 8, 300dpi (with the resample box ticked)? I do know that I should only perform my sharpening after resizing (& sharpening is the last thing I do, even after converting the final edit to a JPEG), but if I should resize, at what stage in my RAW- TIFF - JPEG workflow should I do it?

Or, do I not need to resize at all & do I just simply select the output size at the online printers having uploaded the file as is.

I use Photoshop CS2.

Regards

Baz

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2008 12:56PM
View the resized file at 100% and compare it to the original. If the resize has made the boundaries soft then tweak them with the sharpening tool. Careul not to overdo it, though.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
23 Oct 2008 2:31PM
For optimum quality, you should sharpen and then upload at the target print size. Otherwise you are putting yourself at the mercy of somebody else's resizing code.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.