30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Could my Lens be an issue

Nick_w 14 4.3k 99 England
22 Mar 2010 9:33PM

Quote:Yes but with cropped sensors what you gain from increased depth of field you'll probably lose due to diffraction from apertures smaller than f11 or so

but if you read my post I stated F5.6 -8 not F11+

Very few lenses perform at their best past F11 but that's another discussion. The op has a basic lens and the advice was to get the most out of it
filmforever 13 775
24 Mar 2010 7:51PM
I would suggest you're using entirely the wrong kind of lens for portraits. A 70-300m lens is just too long a range for you to get top notch quality on what you're trying to do.
For portraits something in the region of 75mm to 105mm single focal length would get you far better results.
If there is a 70-150mm zoom lens available for your camera, that would give you far better results
Busseauboy 14 159 France
25 Mar 2010 3:03PM
Why are you using a zoom lens for portraiture? You should be using a fixed lens and move your subject and/or camera. I am a confirmed Nikon user and their original 105mm lens is the best ever in my opinion for portraiture. I would go further and say the original lens is better than the later VR version - I wish I hadn't got rid of my original one and mistakenly "upgraded". Better the devil I knew!! (If any reader has one for sale please contact me).

Surely "softness", "lightness" and harshness has all to do with lighting?...discuss!

Not been on for sometime due to my recurring illness - but better now: So I'd best be thinking about uploading some images.

Regards to all.
filmforever 13 775
25 Mar 2010 4:20PM

Quote:Why are you using a zoom lens for portraiture? You should be using a fixed lens and move your subject and/or camera. I am a confirmed Nikon user and their original 105mm lens is the best ever in my opinion for portraiture.

Agree entirely, I also have an original 105mm 2.5 Nikkor manual lens and it's superb for portraits. Most of the original manual lenses are, in my opinion superior to their autofocus counterparts in both quality and sturdyness. (I use both)
I suspect Debbie is using a digital camera, possibly not one with a full frame sensor?
For many of these cameras, little else, other than zoom lenses are available.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 4:27PM
From memory Nikon have a good 50mm prime thats not bad on their APS sized sensor cameras. Do they not also have an 85mm prime?

anyway, my advice would be for people thinking of portraits with a crop sensor camera is to give a 50mm prime a try out, they are not too expensive and give you plenty to play with in terms of depth of field and often are capable of incredibly sharp results. The one I have is very sharp @ f2.8 to f11, and it is interesting when used @ f1.8.
filmforever 13 775
25 Mar 2010 4:37PM
Yes Nikon still have a good range of prime lenses, but I don't know if that's the make that she uses....I find that of my autofocus lenses, the 60mm micro which equates to 90mm on an APS camera, is excellent for portraiture...Although it's labelled a macro lens, it's also excellent for general photography.....but I'm sure your 50mm which would be 75mm on an APS sensor would be just as good, and cheaper too.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2010 4:54PM
Debbie, I note you last post was with a Canon camera, so what you could think about is a 50mm prime, you get 3 versions, f1.8, f1.4 and f1.2.

The f1.8 is a low cost lens, and to be honest as you take it out of the box it looks terrible, plastic everywhere and a non-existent focusing ring. But stick it on your camera and you discover it has excellent optical properties. And it used to be low cost, not looked at prices but I picked mine up for under 50. For the money you will struggle to find a sharper lens. Compared to the kit lens its sharpness is a joy.

Is the f1.4 better, well it has a more robust construction and faster autofocus plus its rendering of the out of focus areas can be better. But it costs a lot more. The f1.2 is out of my price range.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
25 Mar 2010 7:04PM
A good, economical lens for what you're doing would be the Canon 55-200mm IS.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.