Could you live like this?

saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
18 Aug 2019 10:17AM
Interesting photo-reportage in The Guardian...not sure how many of us could live the way this lady does..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
18 Aug 2019 11:22AM
No I couldn't live as she does but I suspect that that is as much to do with what she is familiar with as personal fortitude. It would seem from the sketchy background provided that she is very used to this way of life. My utter surprise was how very clean and tidy everything appeared to be as with all my 'mod cons' I am not sure that photographs taken here would compare, even tho' I live in a thatched cottage!
bluesandtwos 9 402 1 England
18 Aug 2019 2:32PM
She certainly sounds content with life, which is a lot more than can be said of many with all the trappings of modern life.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.3k 30 England
18 Aug 2019 3:02PM
I'm envious. How wonderful to be so self sufficient. I feel I'd crack and the first hurdle.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.6k 58 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2019 9:00PM
Its quite possible to live your own life in such a way when there are no responsibilities or requirements to regularly interact with the modern world - but throw in a couple of kids growing up, or the need to work till retirement in today's society and its then much more of a challenge. The hermit in me thinks Wow though.
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2019 10:32PM
I am uncertain that I couldn't live like her.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
18 Aug 2019 11:00PM
One thing that I would have thought most folk who visit here would find extremely difficult is no electricity. How are you going to download/process your photographs? She has no running water so chemical processing of film would be difficult if not impossible.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.3k 30 England
19 Aug 2019 6:46PM
Difficult-ish, but you can dev and print without running water, if you have plenty of buckets.
altitude50 15 15.9k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2019 6:58PM
My old camping gaz enlarger blew a mantle! Grin
20 Aug 2019 10:40AM
I couldn't, but Hannah Hauxwell did, in Teesdale ( well, Baldersdale to be strictly accurate )
saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
20 Aug 2019 12:01PM

Quote:I couldn't, but Hannah Hauxwell did, in Teesdale ( well, Baldersdale to be strictly accurate )

Many thanks for that link, Alan.
The three documentaries "Too Long a Winter," "A Winter Too Many" and "Past and Present" are all on Youtube, so have bookmarked them.
20 Aug 2019 7:57PM
Most of the Baldersdale images in my PF were taken on land she used to farm.
20 Aug 2019 8:49PM
I certainly don't think I could live like that, but as the article mentions, you do not miss something you have not had....
keith selmes 15 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2019 9:02PM
Of course I could. But would I want to ? If I did want to, I would be.
It's not much different to my childhood, though I have the impression she may have more convenience than we did.
The radio for example would be an improvement on ours, and I expect the gas hob would be.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.