Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Country file calendar.

Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2019 10:07AM
Just a word of caution. A friend who is a very keen nature photographer went into his greenhouse carrying his DSLR (always ready for a shot). He then looked at this tomato and noticed much of it eaten; up popped a harvest mouse who had been the culprit. He got the shot but immediately after the harvest mouse ran off. I thought it was a great image but when in a competition, the judge implied it had been set up and things could have been arranged better. So one of the problems now is those who do capture a straight shot may not be credited with it anyway. You could just have competitions that must be all in camera but, apart from the fact this is almost impossible to define, it takes us back to before darkroom work (if there ever was such a period). In my club, we have a variety of competitions and the rules vary to suit. There are serious restrictions on some (but not all) of our Nature sections as well as restrictions for landscapes. It still comes back to reading the rules. For the country life competition, the organisers wanted to allow studio shots possibly thinking of calendar sales to benefit charity.

My wife voted for the mouse and has no regrets since she has read about the controversy and is just as keen to but the calendar.

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Oct 2019 6:27PM
The programme is Called Country File and is based on natural surroundings and I therefore feel that all photographs in a related 'photography competition' should be 'natural'. There is enough natural opportunities in and around the countryside wthout having to stage manage a 'table top' location. Such a situation IMHO should not be allowed!
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2019 5:01PM
The image would not count as wildlife in most Nature or Natural History competitions.

Whether the organisers change their rules next year is another matter.

This aside attached is an image from a similar set-up - which I do not regard as natural history or wildlife.

76803_1570550422.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.