Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Countryfile BBC Sunday 15 April

Ross_D 4 755 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2018 4:21PM
Just wondered if anybody saw this programme. There was an item about a lady (in Wales I think) who uses a 16mm Bolex cine camera and developed the film in water which had been boiled up with bladder wrack seaweed (!!!) . She then projected the film which was a B&W negative image. Have to confess that I missed some of the article but just wondered if this is possible....I know seaweed is rich in iodine but this seems a bit improbable. Anybody know ???

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 3 2.1k England
16 Apr 2018 4:31PM
I don't know anything about developing film but I did see the programme and it was indeed developed with seaweed on the seafront. She had a large tent like structure which enveloped the dish with the sea weed water in, she kept the film covered in this whilst developing, she used it also to remove the film from the camera so that no light got in. She had also some other substances which she had taken with her to fix the film. But converting into a positive image was not possible on the seafront - which is why the subsequent showing was a negative. You (or anyone interested) could of course watch it on iPlayer.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
16 Apr 2018 5:43PM
I believe it is all to do with Phenols which the seaweed will contain...

For interest here is a page with some 'interesting recipes for developing your films (Think I would rather consume the whiskey though Wink )

https://www.dagiebrundert.de/ECaffenol.html
16 Apr 2018 6:18PM
Thanks Tianishi_angie.......... I realise that I can view it again but I saw enough and was more interested in the actual film 'chemistry' . Obviously it does work as Philh04's link shows that 'seaweed water' can be used as a developer . Years ago (many years ago Sad ) I did my own B&w film developing but never realised that other 'brews' could be used.

Thanks for link Philh04 ..very interesting ......I think whiskey would be wasted as a developer.Wink..

Tianshi_angie 3 2.1k England
17 Apr 2018 12:21PM
My apologies to you guys before I say this but it is a real niggle of mine as I am very fond of Whisky - which if Scotch is spelt without the e and that is the kind I like. Irish and American are spelt with an e.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.7k United Kingdom
17 Apr 2018 12:26PM

Quote:My apologies to you guys before I say this but it is a real niggle of mine as I am very fond of Whisky - which if Scotch is spelt without the e and that is the kind I like. Irish and American are spelt with an e.

LoL... Simply using the same spelling as on the site I linked to... however it would indeed be sacrilege to use whisky to develop a film... might be worth a try with Jack Daniels (yuk) Grin
17 Apr 2018 1:08PM
Must admit I knew there were different spellings but could never remember which was which ! That said the website referred to quotes a developer made from Tullamore Dew (tullamol !) which is definitely an Irish whiskey !
ChrisV Plus
11 2.2k 26 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2018 1:16PM

Quote:
Quote:My apologies to you guys before I say this but it is a real niggle of mine as I am very fond of Whisky - which if Scotch is spelt without the e and that is the kind I like. Irish and American are spelt with an e.

LoL... Simply using the same spelling as on the site I linked to... however it would indeed be sacrilege to use whisky to develop a film... might be worth a try with Jack Daniels (yuk) Grin

A friend/squash opponent of mine also has an outside catering business. He was telling me last time we played, he now has to order a lot more prosecco, a lot more gin [of varying kinds], but in the last 6 months he hasn't shifted a full bottle of JD.

Certain drinks seem to come and go with fashion and those N American whiskies seem to be out along with the waning of their dreadful, mass market beers.

I did see some of the original CF piece and my initial reaction was 'why the hell would you do that?' It would be much easier to use a cheap digital camera and the results would be technically superior. But I suppose it's all about the process and it is good to see young people [she can't have been out of her twenties] challenging themselves and getting in touch with the craft side of film making.

So bravo!
dark_lord Plus
14 2.2k 542 England
17 Apr 2018 8:27PM
I didn't see this but it sounds interesting

Quote:I believe it is all to do with Phenols

Sounds plausible, redox reactions are involved.
Rather a long time since I did my degree Grin
But I find using software much more interesting Smile
Having said that I'm glad someone is using old and/or weird processing methods if it gives a particular result that works for them.
18 Apr 2018 11:35AM

Quote: I'm glad someone is using old and/or weird processing methods

Agreed......and as ChrisV pointed out the lady in question was quite young.

If anybody is interested there is a book covering old photographic processses.............. I remember getting it out of a library (remember them ??) years ago.
Spirit of Salts

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.