Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Creating an effect of black and white film but with digital?

Tutterzzz 14 160 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2007 8:01PM
I've distinctly noticed after spending alot of time looking at photos from film and digital you can usually almost always tell a black and white film shot to a black and white digital shot.
But ive also noticed some people have came near to creating the same effect of a black and white film effect through editing their image on whatever software they used

ive browsed the internet the past two weeks to try and find how to create the same effect with my images by using photoshop but to no avail have i found anything which is starting to piss me off

and im just wondering if anyone on here could point me in the right direction or give me a basic or even advanced explanation as it seems this community is more helpful than any search engine and other forums ive asked on.

im also sorry if this is hard to understand or over descriptive or contradictive or whatever... or even if you dont think that, sorry for thinking that you would think its hard to understand LOL. recently with all the pressure being put on me from school and at home about GCSE's my minds gone everywhere and im finding it hard to put into words what my heads thinking. especially detailed things.

thanks in advance anyway :]
sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
8 Jan 2007 8:35PM
Try having a look throughout the forums, try looking at this for starters. KeithH has a good method and there are many others readily available within the forums.

I myself have two different methods to get a decent mono conversion, one is too lengthy to explain here and the other is to use Channel Mixer in PhotoShop.

Using trial and error you will find a method that is right for you.

Hope this helpe a little.

Paul

EDIT: Just sent you a PM on the other method.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
8 Jan 2007 8:42PM
Another Tip, Don't go anywhere near the Desaturate option, I have heard that using the Grads option in PSCS is better, followed by using levels to adjust to taste.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2007 8:35AM
If you happen to be using Photoshop take a look at the Virtual Photographer plugin from OptikVerve. It does b&w very well.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.