Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Creating borders around pictures in photoshop 7

eddieali1961 17 97 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2004 9:42AM
Could anyone give me advice on how to put a simple black border around a picture in photoshop 7 without to much hassle.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Sep 2004 9:47AM
There's a thousand EPZers who could tell you as well, but.....

Make sure your background colour is set to black in the color pallett. Go to Edit - Canvas Size. Tick the 'relative' box and punch in your required border, click OK...hey presto.
eddieali1961 17 97 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2004 9:50AM
Thanks for that. Easy when you know how.
Cheers,
Eddie.
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
23 Sep 2004 11:21AM
Just in case anyone is interested, in PSE it is similar:

Image - Resize - Canvas Size, then select New Size to be just a bit bigger than the pic (Current Size).

I find setting New Size at about 20 pixels larger, in each dimension, than Current Size to be about right but you can choose whatever you want. Make sure background colour is the colour of the frame you want.
collinf 18 1.2k
23 Sep 2004 11:48AM
Um - Why not use EDIT - STROKE?

Much easier than having to resize the canvas.

Just checked and this works in Elements too.

Or am I missing something?
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
23 Sep 2004 12:20PM
Well you have to select the pic first, otherwise Stroke is greyed out.

But, yes, there's always more than one way of doing things. You get into the habit of using a particular method and it becomes second nature, I guess.
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 784 England
23 Sep 2004 12:22PM
Nothing wrong with edit-stroke. However, you'll need to expand the canvas if you want the line/border around the outside of your image - if you don't, you can only have the line intruding over the edge of your image. Not too much to be concerned about if its just a thin line, but a thick border will take off too much image.
Oh, and edit-stroke doesn't work on 16 bit iamges unless you're in PS CS or PSE3.
Keith.
23 Sep 2004 12:39PM
I too use Edit>Stroke method.

1. Click the reset Foreground/Backgound colours button (White Foreground/Black Background).
2. Select>All.
3. Edit > Stroke, set desired width (pixels), set to Inside, click OK.

It lets you be more precise with the desired size of border.

I then usually change the Canvas size to A4 (white background) - ready to print onto an A4 sheet!

But as you will discover, Photoshop is such a flexible package there are always several ways to achieve the same result.

Rob.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.