Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Critical comments on gallery photos

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
6 Feb 2016 9:41PM

Quote:It really isn't about the quality of the image more about the number of "friends" you have.

With that attitude, you will never enjoy the gallery. You're missing so much, it's sad, take it from one who's been there, done that. Just post your images and look at others, and do it your way. If you're complaining because your images don't get enough attention, it definitely isn't because of what other people do.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
6 Feb 2016 9:55PM

Quote:
Quote:It really isn't about the quality of the image more about the number of "friends" you have.

With that attitude, you will never enjoy the gallery. You're missing so much, it's sad, take it from one who's been there, done that. Just post your images and look at others, and do it your way. If you're complaining because your images don't get enough attention, it definitely isn't because of what other people do.

He`s merely stating a fact, sad but true.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Feb 2016 10:29PM
But that goes for any photo site. We've all seen the snapshot that gets a plethora of user awards and countless votes. It's very easy on any of those photos to follow the click trail but you know what- best just let them have their thing.

I see a comment about "Good shot" not being helpful. It's not meant to be is it, it's just someone saying its a good shot. Sometimes an image is just good....it's a good shot.
6 Feb 2016 10:31PM

Quote:I see a comment about "Good shot" not being helpful. It's not meant to be is it, it's just someone saying its a good shot.

At least someone cares enough to comment.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
6 Feb 2016 10:35PM

Quote:But that goes for any photo site. We've all seen the snapshot that gets a plethora of user awards and countless votes. It's very easy on any of those photos to follow the click trail but you know what- best just let them have their thing

That`s how I`ve always felt about it.

Quote:I see a comment about "Good shot" not being helpful. It's not meant to be is it, it's just someone saying its a good shot. Sometimes an image is just good....it's a good shot.

Nothing wrong there.
petebfrance 7 2.8k France
6 Feb 2016 11:12PM
Such a shame that the VS mode which is completely anonymous (well almost, with the exception of those photos with the photographers name on them) didn't take off, get support etc. etc. Imperfect though it was, there was a better chance that the 'votes' will not be a 'popularity contest.'
Oh, and the comment about 'nice shot' comment not being helpful. I don't want to repeat the whole lot I posted about it last time, but yes, I think it is helpful that somebody thought is worth posting that - it helps me to know people like the thing enough to bother commenting (usually) as well as pressing a button to vote. I've done it too when I thought something was that bit special. Be happy, enjoyGrin
franken Plus
16 4.9k 4 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2016 9:29AM
Similar topics appear on a regular basis and there's no simple answer to it.

I tend to use the site as I want to and not how others think I should.

EPZ is not unique in the you click/comment on mine and I'll do the same for you!

I often tend to use "great shot or fine capture," because they are in my eyes.

If I feel the need to make a constructive comment and I do quite often then I usually start with, "if it were mine I'd do so and so to it."

Over the years I've had a few replies where people disagreed and that's fine.

Ken

sebartley 3 141
7 Feb 2016 10:40AM
I like this topic because it's something I've thought of. I've received good, constructive critique on my photos, which although I did receive a lot of votes for them and this was great and builds my confidence and I'm always nervous of posting photos, I did take on board my feedback and I'm now working on taking photos on a manual setting. I want to improve in taking photos so feedback that is constructive and not destructive is welcome.

I sometimes put Great or Good shot because I feel I'm new to photography and although I want to make a comment to say the person has taken a great photo I don't want to make a fool of myself my saying " great depth of field etc" and people think I don't know what I'm talking about lol.
Sandra Wink

Scaramanga Plus
11 57 6 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2016 11:19AM

Quote:

I wasn't complaining, I just think its sad that so called "friends" continue to encourage mediocrity. You can put it down to personal taste etc, but an image that is clearly out of focus getting 48 votes is unfair on the poster of the image.
Scaramanga Plus
11 57 6 United Kingdom
3 May 2016 11:39AM

Quote:
Quote:Nobody cares they just want votes.

Not true. Any number of people nominate helpful comments in the main photography gallery as constructive critique - three such nominations have just appeared. The site's criteria for greening as cc are fairly demanding, we look for comments that go the extra mile and explain how an image could be improved, in the taking or the processing. So some helpful comments don't actually get greened as constructive critique. But there are still a lot of people appreciating them!

Yet you have removed an image that failed to reach the thirty votes.
peterjones 17 4.8k 1 United Kingdom
3 May 2016 11:52AM

Quote:I tend to use the site as I want to and not how others think I should.

Excellent .....GrinGrinGrin
deviant 15 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
4 May 2016 11:33PM
I think if you worry about votes or awards you'll get driven to distraction but for some it's a validation or encouragement. I tend not to critique unless it's asked for but I also tend not to vote unless I really like a lot. That said I strongly agree with earlier comments 'Great shot ! " is not really a helpful comment if you really want to grow.

I once showed a shot I was super proud of to mr keithh when I was a baby photographer. I asked for honest critique and I got some very useful but very critical feedback. This was not thrown at me in a hurtful way at all it was given in a helpful way that made me progress. I'm glad that he and others didn't say 'great shot!' and move on or I'd never have progressed just stayed comfortable maybe fished for clicks. That said some just want validation by clicks and if it makes them happy that's fine. Everyone deserves a little happiness.

But I do think careful critique, kindly given, is always welcome. Try and keep in mind the level of experience of the photographer and their intent. Also try not to be discouraging and remember photography's subjective not black and white (Pun intended...).
5 May 2016 6:33AM
This is a recurring topic because we have new members and many others who haven't read, or taken part in these discussions before. If some aspect of the site is bothering a person, best get it out there and find out how the rest feel about it. I've been here a long time, and my views have changed immensely, as I'm sure most people's do over time. The reason things are as they are, for the most part, is because it's the way the majority want the site to be. For the past several years, I haven't even noticed how many votes or awards others have gotten, it's irrelevant. Not everybody's interested in having flaws in their photos pointed out all the time. I think that's the role of the critique gallery.
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
6 May 2016 9:37PM
If the photograph succeeds in showing what the photographer intended then it is "a good shot"

If it fails in that respect it is "a poor shot"

It may not succeed in showing what you might like see technically, artistically or what have you.

Having said that there are certain guide lines that help the photographer achieve a "good shot" if he/she takes the trouble to learn them.

Which is where the critique comes in, I guess.

Funny old world, isn't it?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.