Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

Critique or not ?

mattberry 16 259 14 Greece
24 May 2010 9:12AM
Couldn't it just be made a requirement that anyone uploading a photo to the critique gallery has to fill in a text box about their intentions with the photo and what they were trying to achieve etc? If they're genuine about wanting advice they surely won't mind spending a few moments filling it in.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
24 May 2010 9:41AM
Hi Di

just looking for that shot you mentioned in the voting thread yesterday - is this the right thread, just I can't see the image in it

ta

ade
dianah 14 24.5k 4 United Kingdom
24 May 2010 10:54AM

Quote:Couldn't it just be made a requirement that anyone uploading a photo to the critique gallery has to fill in a text box about their intentions with the photo and what they were trying to achieve etc? If they're genuine about wanting advice they surely won't mind spending a few moments filling it in.

I agree totally..a really excellent idea . I also feel that the text box should be user friendly without too many complicated requirements which might put a beginner off..wording should be as simple as possi
ble ! This will sound silly to some but believe me..when I first started on this site I had to ask what dof meant ! Just shows how ignorant I was !!! Smile

Quote:Hi Di

just looking for that shot you mentioned in the voting thread yesterday - is this the right thread, just I can't see the image in it

ta

ade

This is the one Ade..thank you for taking the time to find it ! ..my photo isn't on this thread..don't worry about it, I will upload another fairly shortly..you can give a critique on that one ! SmileSmile

Di
24 May 2010 11:26AM
ah - is it in your portfolio then?
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
24 May 2010 11:31AM
it's called "light", the last shot in her PF..
24 May 2010 11:49AM
After using the Critique option for the first time and looking at uploads from other contributors I just felt that firstly a very positive thank you was necessary but that there could be ways of making it more user friendly for those who genuinely wanted help and advice...also some of those contributors may need to spend time taking into account what has been said and possibly acknowledging it from time to time..this in itself encourages more people to give advice and the whole idea flourishes...hopefully ! Wink

Thanks Stephen. That was just a tongue in cheek aside to Ade though ! Smile It really isn't important at all..and nothing to do with my first thoughts ! Smile
24 May 2010 12:51PM
Glad you found the CG area useful - the team go out of their way to be friendly, polite and hopfully give you some useful feedback - on both the shot itself and the processing.

Smile
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
24 May 2010 2:06PM

Quote:Couldn't it just be made a requirement that anyone uploading a photo to the critique gallery has to fill in a text box about their intentions with the photo and what they were trying to achieve etc? If they're genuine about wanting advice they surely won't mind spending a few moments filling it in.

Believe me, the critique team has suggested all sorts of possibilities, over the years, to solve the problem but we come up against the need for web developer time to be spent on it............. versus their spending time on all the fascinating new facilities that EPZ want to offer you! Grin

Personally I would like to see a pop-up text box (or one which becomes visible on the page), which has to be filled in with text of a minimum length, when the 'Critique Wanted' box has been checked on the upload page. The box could be headed with something like "What were you trying to achieve? "What are the areas where you feel there is room for improvement?

Quote:contributors may need to spend time taking into account what has been said and possibly acknowledging it from time to time

I agree. As well as acknowledging critique, posters of photos need to consider whether to mark the critique as constructive: guidance here.
24 May 2010 8:27PM
Thanks Carabosse..I do see your point and the amount of time that it would take.

I just sometimes wonder whether all the new facilities, fascinating as they are to many, are just taking things a bit too far in some areas where time could be spent on a project/facility that would help those who need more basic help. I am absolutely sure that there are a huge number of those people around and also fairly sure that a large proportion of those people will never get as far as using all of these wonderful new ideas...and I really am not being sarcastic here !

It is a bit like being given a huge tub of the most exotic sweets mixed in with the good old favourites..sometimes too many and too much can be counter productive. I am probably being very controversial and this isn't my intention. I joined EPZ three years ago and I loved it from the very beginning and was able to understand most of what went on with a bit of help from some friends that I met on my journey ! There is so much that is new now and although I agree that this is often exciting and innovative surely the strength of the whole site depends on sturdy roots..the Critique Site doesn't seem to be very sturdy and to me this is one of the most important features !

My statement in the beginnig was a thank you but the essence of thought here is really what can be done to improve something that could be truly excellent to a great many people. Smile
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
25 May 2010 12:55AM

Quote:I just sometimes wonder whether all the new facilities, fascinating as they are to many, are just taking things a bit too far in some areas where time could be spent on a project/facility that would help those who need more basic help.

I am sure you are very far from being the only one who has had that particular thought, Diana! Wink

Quote:My statement in the beginnig was a thank you but the essence of thought here is really what can be done to improve something that could be truly excellent to a great many people

I for one am very pleased you have started this thread - and thank you again for the appreciation. Smile It would be great to have a bit more resource put into the IT side of the critique gallery. But, regrettably, I suspect it isn't high on the EPZ To-do list. Sad

Quote:Critique Site doesn't seem to be very sturdy

Not entirely sure what you mean here. It is a facility which can be used or not. What you get out of it depends, to a degree, what you put in. It is a Help function: if people want help they use it, if they don't they don't use it. It took you about 3 years to discover it Diana! Wink
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
25 May 2010 6:41AM
The Critique Gallery is the best place to post your images if you are serious about learning. Most people say they're members of the site in order to learn and improve their photography, yet post in the main gallery and complain about votes, which don't tell you sweet **** all about your images. If you really want critique, and not some meaningless award, post where they tell it like it is.Wink
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
25 May 2010 7:15AM

Quote:The Critique Gallery is the best place to post your images if you are serious about learning. Most people say they're members of the site in order to learn and improve their photography, yet post in the main gallery and complain about votes, which don't tell you sweet **** all about your images. If you really want critique, and not some meaningless award, post where they tell it like it is.Wink

Never a true word spoken lol
25 May 2010 9:13AM
I agree with you all Smile Also thank you for adding your thoughts ! When I said the Critique section didn't seem very sturdy maybe that was the wrong analogy !

I just feel that it is a very important section of EPZ that would be used more if it was a bit more user friendly. I am rushing to get out at the moment but I have explained what I mean further back in the thread.

A great many people join EPZ to learn and improve on something they really enjoy doing. Using the Critique section is an excellent way to get help. Being able to describe what you are aiming for ..or even to say what you are using via the camera is very difficult for real beginners..some kind of tick box might help. Maybe then more people would feel inclined to use it and if there is something to fill in...the people who really do want the help would be the ones who would use it !

I really do understand why it is difficult to put all of this into action..my reasoning was that sometimes more is done to make the flowers on the tree look as exquisite as possible while the roots can be ignored or at best left to look after themselves...in the end though, it is the roots that result in those exquisite flowers ! Sorry about the floral analogy..it just seemed a fair way to describe what I mean.

Off to French lessons now Smile . Thank you all very much for your time !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.