90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

Cropping, resizing, printing

bigjohna 12 22 Scotland
20 Feb 2009 2:01PM
Hi

Iam new to digtal imaging and trying to get my head round elements 7. I get awfully confused with cropping and resising images. I always shoot the best quality images sometimes raw but mostly JPEG. 905 of the time I want to crop a wee bit off here and there. usually I just crop it off and leave it at that and then may print the image. But I am been imformed that I should be cropping to a certain size and then resising my image before printing to say A$ if that is the size I wish to print. Can anyonye point me in the right direction regarding the above please. I am assuming when I crop an image it does not get any smaller in size. I have bought the book called Missing Manuals which seems to tell how things work but not why I would want to use them, if that makes sense. I would also appreciate any suggested workflows for my raw or JPEG images that anyone finds useful. Regards

Johna
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2009 2:12PM
I can offer two views.

But first prints often come out best at 300DPI, so unless it is an online print house that have asked for a specific DPI re-sizing them to 300DPI, then sharpening, then printing is the best process flow.

If you have a specific print size you want, say 10x8 and you know you will be cropping, set the crop tool to 10x8 at 300DPI, and it will automatically be ok. Just sharpen after the cropping operation.

If it is a non-specific image size you want, i.e you want to crop to a shape, set the crop too to free form and crop to taste, then do an image re-size, again specify the DPI as 300 and set on of the edge sizes to the edge of your print such that it fits within your paper.
jclaydon1 13 20 1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2009 4:30PM
Hi there i hope you don't mind me joining in this discussion, if you resize after cropping will it look strange? i have had some images in lightroom which i cropped and then thought i had saved them all 12x8 and took them off to be printed and they all came back different sizes, i am now thinking if i resize because of the amount i have cropped they might look stretched

Many thanks for your help

Julie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.