Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

CRT OR LCD

Barleybank 14 15 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2006 12:22AM
Needing a new monitor, I am undecided whether to stick with CRT or to go for LCD flat screen. I read that traditionally CRT was better for viewing images although the new generation of LCD's are as good or better. Can anyone convince me which is the one to go for.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2006 12:42AM
Modern LCD screens are excellent. I use a cheap 19in one which does have some minor problems of ghosting when moving images around the screen. Otherwise the image is sharp, can be viewed from a wide angle and does not suffer greatly from reflected light. For the same money I paid 2 years ago you can get far better.

Having said that the real advantage is that they save space (3 inches instead of 2 ft deep)and produce little or no heat.
pjc 16 397 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2006 10:53PM
The argument goes, CRT's are still better, for photography and graphics, than LCD's because they can display a wider range of colours. But in truth the gap in coninualy shrinking and LCD performance keeps improving. I bought an LG Flatron over 2 yaers ago, it's way better than my previous CRT way. I found though that it's very important to calibrate your LCD monitor with a hardware calibrator, such as a spyder 2 or a gretag macbeth eye one display 2, the latter being the one I plumed for. Adobe gamma doesn't work with LCD screens is a very important point to remember.

There are LCD screens that will display full Adobe RGB colour space but they are expensive, 21" costing about 899. Cheaper ones may suffice, keep an eye on the contrast ratio, the higher the better mine is 500:1 but there should be better options available now, Samsung have always had a good reputaion, check out [link=tomshardware.co.uk/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection_uk/]Toms Hardware Guide[/link] they have a the latest round up of whats available. Also consider the refresh rate should be below 16ms by now to make sure you don't see any ghosting especially on fast moving graphics (games).

Hope this helps.

Pete.

The other advantage of my LCD is I now havw some desk space too.
Barleybank 14 15 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2006 11:31PM
Thanks for the info. Pete, very helpfull, I think it will be LCD

Regards

Alan
Leif 15 777
24 Apr 2006 12:57PM
As I understand it to get an LCD that displays the Adobe RGB colour space you need to pay about 3K. From what I can tell from reviews, if you pay about 1K for a ~20" display, you should get something that approaches a CRT in terms of smoothness of tones, and shadow and highlight performance.

Leif
Leif 15 777
25 Apr 2006 12:12AM
You might want to check out the Eizo site for information. Not unbiased, but there is useful information about the differences between LCD and CRT. Leif
25 Apr 2006 11:11PM
Also check out the Viewsonic VP930 LCD - its got pretty good reviews and its got a 1000:1 contrast ratio. I've just bought one and I'm pretty pleased with it. Pricewise it was about 350.00.

Viewsonic also do quite a good CRT graphics monitor too - the G90FB. The 19" sells for about 150.00.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.