Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

CS 2 RAW Conversion

hobbs Plus
16 1.3k Japan
7 Dec 2005 6:54AM
I'm in the process of looking at my RAW conversion software and was wondering what people who have used CS 2 think of it for processing RAW images.

I was going to buy aperture but due to the reviews on it I think I'll leave it until they iron the problems out.
elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 7:04AM
Elements 3 raw is the same or similar to CS2 raw converter I believe. If so it's OK for some things but I use Rawshooter which is much better.
Some say Capture 1 is better than Rawshooter but I didn't like the interface when I tried it.
wbk666 15 61
7 Dec 2005 7:05AM
ive used all 3 of those and have to agree that rawhooter is better and easier to use than the others.
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
7 Dec 2005 7:10AM
hooter, eh?
Interesting.

*Kyd's got the giggles*
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Dec 2005 7:10AM
CS2 is OK. Rawshooter is fine if you just want to play a little and Capture One if you want to treat your RAW files seriously.
hobbs Plus
16 1.3k Japan
7 Dec 2005 7:18AM
I can't use Rawshooter as I use a MAC. Keith I take it you use C1 PRO, how quick is it at processing images? I have used C1 LE in the past and found it quite slow at loading images and processing them.

Looks like most people are saying what I thought. Thanks
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 7:31AM
On my machine C1 and Rawshooter run at the same pace. Also the pro version runs at the same speed as the LE version. If its slow try adding more RAM. I upped my machine to 1G of RAM and it is a lot better for photo editing. Especially if you are running photoshop and a RAW converter. Check that photoshop is not hogging all the RAM too.
7 Dec 2005 7:37AM
I use C1 on a Mac and a PC and to be honest it runs at as slow and as fast as anything else. I load about 2GB of images in about three minutes.
If my damn AV software wasn't hogging so much memory I dare say they'd load a lot faster.

C1 fills the same space in the RAW conversion market as Photoshop does in the image management and manipulation market. It didn't get there by accident.
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
7 Dec 2005 10:38AM
I had Capture1 LE and didn't notice any problems with performance - I was running it on an iMac G4 800MHz with a mere 512MB.

Doug
elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 11:27AM
Capture one costing how much? Rawshooter costing nothing.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2005 11:33AM
Oh I agree about the cost, but then having given both a try side by side I can see the difference C1 to Rawshooter. So how much would I have to spend on lenses to get the same difference? Also as I went cheapskate and bought elements I can afford to spend what I did not spend on photoshop on the RAW converter.

For me the difference between C1 and RAW shooter is bigger than the difference between Elements and full photoshop.

It is personal I guess. Some spend more on a filter than C1 costs.
angusforbes 16 140
7 Dec 2005 12:16PM
sorry I am dipping inot this thread late. I have cs and cs2 but just cant figure out the raw process. I, on occasion, manage to see the raw files and view them on screen but can't figure out how to do anything with them.

Any ideas?
Angus
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
7 Dec 2005 12:28PM
Kyd, watch out for those raw hooters.
7 Dec 2005 12:50PM

Quote:Capture one costing how much? Rawshooter costing nothing.

I understand that at one time Ladas were a cheap form of motor transport too.
I never owned one..were they any good?
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
7 Dec 2005 1:05PM
Doesn't really matter how much (or little) Rawshooter costs. Nicholas (hobbs) has already said he uses a Mac. Rawshooter is Windows only.

Doug

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.