CS4 or Elements 9

SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
14 Sep 2011 5:46PM
I've got both the above software and will probably load E9 on to my new computer. I also use CS4 very occasionally because I like the warp tool which E9 doesn't have.

I'd load on both programs but I'm not sure if there would be a conflict. Adobe doesn't support Bridge on CS4 any more so I don't know if this would be a problem as I bought it when it did. Bridge was disabled by Adobe whilst I had it uploaded on my old computer so I suppose it is now defunct and wouldn't load up anyway even though I've got it on the installation CDs. I have deactivated CS4 and purged the files from my old computer.

So my questions are, is it worth uploading CS4 as well as E9? If I did would I have any compatibility problems?

Thank you for any tips. I do appreciate all your assistance.
Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4044 Canada
14 Sep 2011 6:58PM
Both should work together. Ive had both on the same machine with no issues. You may need to make sure you default programmes for images are set up for whichever software you prefer. And you can use explorer to get images for CS4. CS4 is has way more features that E9, - far more than the warp tool, - so I would not recommend you take a step so far back in capabilities personally.

Willie
John_Frid 13 514 57 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2011 7:02PM
I can't imagine there would be a problem. I'm currently running E8 and CS5 without difficulty, and previously ran E4 and CS2 happily together.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
14 Sep 2011 7:17PM
Thanks both. I suppose I will upload them both and I can choose whether to upload Bridge or not if the option's there.

To be honest, I don't really need CS4 but I got the student price so it was worth it at the time. I only ever used it for warping though. Grin
paganatheart 8 2 3 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2011 10:10PM
An alternative to Bridge would be FastStone which can be easily set up to launch an image to the editing suite of your choice with a double click. FastStone is an image management and editing app that is free to download (Google will readily find the download page) and use and will happily handle most RAW image files. Smile
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
14 Sep 2011 10:32PM
Hi Chris,
I don't think I'd miss "Bridge" a great deal if it was discontinued (I'm using CS5). In fact it's crossed my mind a few times to remove it anyway.
I have to agree with Wilie though when he says that choosing E9 over CS4 would be a retrograde step.

Jester.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
15 Sep 2011 10:39AM
I agree Jester re Bridge. I don't even use the Organiser in E9.
As for CS4, it's just too much. I only do simple stuff so it's a bit overkill for me. As I said, I only bought it because I got it dirt cheap. I wish I hadn't registered it then I could've done something else with it. Wink
Thanks pagan. I generally just use My Pictures folders in Windows for organising. No need for anything else.
Smile
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
15 Sep 2011 10:45AM
Chris, You should have no issues running E9 and CS4 with bridge under the Windows 7 64bit OS......Grin

I have just completed some tests for someone with exactly that set-up, Had No Problems What So Ever.....Smile

Everything works just as it should, Make sure you download and install all the CS4 updates from Adobes site......Wink

As far as each program conflicting with the other, Thats very unlikely, Though a wise idea would be to only have one or the other open.

From what I can make out, The CS4 version is way more stable than the CS5 version that required Adobe to produce a 5.5 version, Just to iron out all the bugs, Not something they have done for many years, Last one I can remember was Photoshop 5 followed by 5.5.......Sad

Whatever, Just make sure to collect all the updates available for both programs, I'd load CS4 first, Then load E9 with a " Restore Point " between them, Just as a precaution.

Should you need to use the Restore ( I very much doubt it ) Take note that Restore is not a way of uninstalling programs, The Uninstall procedure should be carried out first, Then restore to a point before the install was loaded.

Personally CS5 is a waste of time for most people, E9 or similar is more than enough pixel bending for pure photographic needs, The new Paintshop Pro looks pretty fair also.

Wink
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
15 Sep 2011 10:49AM
Thanks cameracat. I will now put this topic to bed as you've put my mind at rest.
I don't think I want a new computer ever again!! It's OK for you techies..... Grin
Chris
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
15 Sep 2011 11:22AM

Quote:I generally just use My Pictures folders in Windows for organising

Same here.
Works perfectly well for me.
User_Removed 15 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2011 11:29AM
Only time I've found Bridge really useful is when having to look through loads of vector clip art (.eps, .ai .emf) as it flies through them and lets you create collections for a particular task so you can open them in in Illustrator or InDesign quickly when needed.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
15 Sep 2011 11:36AM

Quote:Only time I've found Bridge really useful is when having to look through loads of vector clip art (.eps, .ai .emf) as it flies through them and lets you create collections for a particular task so you can open them in in Illustrator or InDesign quickly when needed.
Er, yeah! Do it all the time. GrinWink
User_Removed 15 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2011 11:44AM
I think that perhaps you're one of those people who thinks that CS4 means Photoshop v11 and that's it. CS4 is actually a suite of creative programs and Adobe Bridge provides a bridge between them.

Quote:I also use CS4 very occasionally because I like the warp tool which E9 doesn't have.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
15 Sep 2011 12:02PM

Quote:I think that perhaps you're one of those people who thinks that CS4 means Photoshop v11 and that's it.
Just about sums me up. Wink

But Adobe doesn't support Bridge in CS4 any more. Not that I want it.
Smile
15 Sep 2011 3:41PM
I think Bridge is great, not least because when I shoot in RAW (something I seldom do, JPEGs usually suffice) I can see the thumbnails. RAW, or RAF in my case, don't show up in Windows Explorer for me. I use PS CS5 Extended which I got at student rate. I previously had iffy copies of various incarnations of Photoshop CS. ( Plus various legal programmes, Serif PhotoPlus, GIMP and Elements 4, the disc for which got lost) Following a fairly recent re-install of Windows XP, I installed my legally acquired copy of Elements 2, which I got years ago bundled with a scanner. It did just about everything I need for day-to-day editing. Photoshop CSx is way overkill for most people.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.