Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Curtain pole

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
1 Feb 2016 1:18PM
Hi....I need to fix a curtain pole over a window, the lintel to which I need to fix the pole is less than 3 inches deep.
I therefore need the pole to fit below the brackets instead of above which is the usual way.

Does anyone know of such a curtain pole or has anyone come across this problem and if so, how did they solve it ?
...any help appreciated....many thanks...Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.7k England
1 Feb 2016 1:41PM
What sort of brackets are you using? There are some which the pole goes through rather than on i.e. they are an O. If I remember correctly the fitting for this type of bracket is a small piece of metal with little 'flaps' each side (there is probably a proper name for them but I don't know what it is) and then the actual curtain pole holder slides on to these flaps. If you go to Bicker and Quarrel they may well have them in stock. You could also try securing a plank of wood across the top of the window to give you a little more depth which is what I had to do in my cottage.
1 Feb 2016 2:10PM
Thanks....I've not yet got the pole or the brackets.
I've never heard of Bicker and Quarrel...I'll check them out.

I quite like the plank of wood idea, In fact I have some 4" deep, white plastic profiling left over from another job which could be ideal, possibly not seen from the outside or noticed from the inside...I'll consider that.
....many thanks....Mike
ikett 9 545 England
1 Feb 2016 3:30PM

Quote:I've never heard of Bicker and Quarrel...I'll check them out.

Clue, B and Q SmileTongue
Tianshi_angie 4 2.7k England
1 Feb 2016 4:40PM
Glad someone has got their brain in high alert ikett!!
dcash29 14 2.4k England
1 Feb 2016 11:51PM
2 Feb 2016 12:49PM
Thanks for that David but we don't think that there is enough room above the pole for the curtain heading... about one and a half inches.
To be on the safe side we're looking for a pole with more room above.
...cheers.....Mike
whipspeed 15 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2016 2:23PM
We had the same thing at my son's flat, we only had 1 1/2 inches! We used a length of steel tubing and just had a support at either end. Other problem we had was nothing but the steel above the window with a thin bit of plaster over to drill into, so it's screwed into that. Been there for a while now with no problems, but no centre support as no room.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2016 1:08PM
To hang my photo backdrops i actually have screw eyes screwed up into the ceiling into the wooden joists - if they are in the right places this may be useful.
For the backdrop i just then use the normal pole with removable hooks, make it more permanent and hang a curtain perhaps.
97593_1454504913.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.