Get your complimentary 1-year Adobe Photography Plan with X-Rite!

D-490 ZOOM

RUGER9MM 1 4
3 Sep 2018 4:54AM
Hello all. I am NOT a camera buff, but i am trying to help out a friend, who doesn't know how to retrieve the pics/vids, off of his D-490 Zoom. His memory/age has declined, so he doesn't remember much about the camera, or how to hook it up to pc, to get files. I have managed to help him locate a cable bundle he had stored, consisting of a 9-pin female serial cable, with a 3.5mm camera connector, and a 9-pin male serial cable, with a usb connector. i have tried both alone, and connected together, with my Win XP desktop, and my Win 7 laptop, i get no recognition on pc from camera-to-usb, but i do using camera-to-9-pin serial. Problem is, there is no LCD screen light up? With cable disconnected, i get LCD lit up, showing "card is full", but no LCD when i connect cable to pc? I would also need your help, in getting the Olympus pc software, that would be needed to transfer files, if i can get the camera to activate, while connected to pc Sad I don't know if there is a reader that i/he could buy, that i could put the 3v-8mb card into, and just transfer files to pc, and then format card? He tried to get a reader a Staples, and the guy said an XD? reader would work, but it's NOT an XD? card, therefore, it didn't work. Any, and all help would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
3 Sep 2018 7:14AM
You might try just taking the card out of his camera, then take it to a large branch if BOOTS....or any photographic retailer, who should have a card-to-print service.

Almost every recent laptop, pc and even Televisions have an SD and other card slots, that will be able to read and to view card content.

Other members on here will be able to help you further Iím sure....

Hobbo
RUGER9MM 1 4
3 Sep 2018 8:07AM
Thanks Hobbo, but this is no SD card......it's HUUUUGE! Would need a special card reader for this one Smile

320067_1535958276.jpg

320067_1535958382.jpg

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2018 9:52AM
That is a SmartMedia card... here is the Camera Manual page 122 onwards... It looks as if it needs to be a serial connection and not USB (but not sure on that)

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/D490Z_manual.pdf

USB readers capable of reading SmartMedia are available on shopping site beginning in 'A'
RUGER9MM 1 4
3 Sep 2018 4:56PM
Thanks Philh04, i have the manual downloaded myself. As i've stated, neither cable connection makes any difference, as LCD doesn't light up ( maybe it shouldn't in transfer mode? ). It may not do anything anyway, without Camedia Master 2.0 software on pc, and this i've searched for, but seems to be so old, that links checked, come back with "server can't be found", or "404 error"......too bad he doesn't know where CD is Sad
I have also searched for card reader, and none of them definitively say they will accept SmartmMedia cards. A lot of them SAY they'll accept XD, or numerous cards, but info not concrete enough to buy.
Not sure what you meant about sites beginning in "A", but if you meant sites beginning WITH "A", i have checked "Am", and again, nothing specific to SmartMedia Sad
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2018 5:24PM
It is old indeed... and will need a serial interface...

Sorry shopping site beginning with A = Am@zon.... no experience with this one but is a USB interface.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAYATEC-Memory-Smartmedia-Compact-Picture/dp/B019FY1RBC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535991633&sr=8-3&keywords=smart+media+card+reader
RUGER9MM 1 4
3 Sep 2018 5:50PM
Yes, i think he bought it in the early '00's. That reader looked like it would do the trick. I'll contact him, and see if he wants to buy it. Get back to ya' all Smile
DerekL 14 211 24 England
5 Sep 2018 11:06PM
RUGER9MM 1 4
6 Sep 2018 1:22AM
Yeah Dereck, it is. I'll send info to him. He's a little slow on getting around to things, but hell, at 79 yrs., heart attack, diabetes, and Parkinson's. i'd say he's entitled to be as slow as he wants......lol Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.