D-Lite 2 or D-Lite 4 kit?

Pete_g 14 327 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2006 10:55AM
I've finally decided to ditch my second hand purchase of a year ago (25 year old bowens lights) and invest in a d-lite kit based on peoples comments on this site.

Lost interest and time to do photography lately and hoping that spending money will drag me back to my hobby Smile

Question is, which kit to go for? I'll be shooting in rooms probably no larger than 18ft square most of the time, and taking this to front rooms of family members, which will probably be smaller still.

Will the D-lite 4 allow me to 'throttle back' the power enough to make them a workable solution with softboxes in smaller rooms, or will they be too powerful. Main work will be mostly portraiture, full length and some group shots. Not sure glamour shots will be possible in my freezing cold garage Wink

Thanks for any advice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard 14 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2006 6:42PM
Pete as no one has dived in I'll give you my opinion

I have some Dlite2's which are fine for most amateur use even in a reasonable area. Only when using outside on a dark evening could I have done with a bit more power and had to up the camera iso.

Not sure where you are in Hampshire but if you want to drive to Dorset you can come and see for yourself before purchasing.

You have a 5 stop range on the Dlites so both are eminently controllable.
9 Dec 2006 7:01PM
Thanks John...really appreciate the response.

This is a birthday present for me from the wife, so wanted to make sure I got it right. If you have the d-lite 2's and you're finding them powerful enough in most situations then I'm grateful for your advice and will probably follow the same route. I don't really want to purchase an overpowered unit, as I'm sure it's more difficult to cut down the power especially in small spaces.

I guess I was really trying to understand how low the 2's and 4's could go in terms of power output if needed.

Noticed your portfolio is empty, and given your experience I'm sure you'll post again soon Wink.

Going through a really difficult patch myself at the moment in trying to find time for photography, so need to find some impetus.

Thanks again
marc321 15 48
9 Dec 2006 7:03PM
i'm having to make exactly the same decision. My thoughts are you can back the d-lite 4's to 25Ws but they go up to 400Ws where as the d-lite 2's only go up to 200Ws. I personally am thinking of the d-lite 4's that way it give a far greater range of light power.
Hope this helps
Marc
9 Dec 2006 7:07PM
Thanks for info Marc, wasn't aware the d-lite 4's could go as low as 25W...so that's very useful...makes me wonder if the extra 100 might give me more flexibility.

Appreciate response...cheers

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.