Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

D-SLR satisfaction

Perdiccas 15 90 Holy See (Vatican City State)
25 Oct 2007 7:06AM
Interesting results from the latest J D Power survey. I'm at a loss to explain the wide margin though.

2007 Digital Camera Satisfaction Study and associated press release.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2007 8:34AM
I'm saying nothing. Smile
lobsterboy Plus
17 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2007 8:42AM
Clearly Canon,Sony, Olympus and Pentax users expect a lot from their cameras whereas Nikon users are happy with any old tosh Wink

Seriously strange results though - In the appearance section 5 stars v 2stars - is a Nikon DSLR that much better looking than a Canon one? I doubt most people could tell one black camera from another in a line up anyway.
25 Oct 2007 9:17AM
It's the same with the JD Power car survey. Toyota always come out on top but they never ask for things like annual mileage, if people are doing 100 miles a year they are much more likely to be happy with their cars than the reps who do 50,000 in their Mondeos and Vectras.

I would have expected Nikon and Canon to have almost identical results.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2007 9:19AM
If you look at the fleet and breakdown companies records where they factor in milage and numbers in service, you find that the toyota's drop and last time I looked the Ford Focus was top for real world reliability.

But reliability does not always equate satisfaction.
25 Oct 2007 9:28AM
Nope, some people are highly satisfied with their cars because of the nice velour seats and crocheted headrest covers. Smile
cambirder 17 7.2k England
25 Oct 2007 10:10AM

Quote:I would have expected Nikon and Canon to have almost identical results.

Me too, The difference in scores on image quality shows what utter carp this is. We all know there is hardly anything in it, and up to now if anything Canon have had the edge in the high ISO stakes yet this if you went by this survey you would think Canon, Oly and Pentax image quality is rubbish.

And as for the appearance come on they are all big lumpy similar shaped ugly black things, who the hell buys a DSLR on what it looks like?
25 Oct 2007 10:17AM
If you delve a little deeper the survey also says that 95% of DSLR users would recommend their camera to other people, which hardly matches those 2 star ratings.

You find the same large disparities in the survey of other camera types (although Nikon and Canon seem to have swapped places)

Premium Point and Shoot
bill777 18 661 1 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2007 10:18AM
It looks more suspicious than an ITV phone-in!!

Bill
25 Oct 2007 10:28AM
It seems to be the same for everything they do, the winner gets 5 stars, a lucky runner up gets 4, a few get 3 and a lot get 2.

I suppose they think that have such clear cut winners looks better than the winner getting 5 stars and the worst performer coming in with 4.8 stars, got to give the dumb schmucks who rely on this sort of thing a clear guidance on what to do, can't confuse the feeble minded with close scores.
25 Oct 2007 10:38AM
Seems I'm right

Quote:J.D. Power and Associates provides manufacturers and suppliers with diagnostic information to help them improve the quality of the products and services they provide. In most cases, this type of detailed research information is not presented in a “consumer friendly” format. While tables of numbers and volumes of data may be helpful to engineers or manufacturing experts, consumers may desire an easily understandable format such as the Power Circle Ratings on this site. The goal of JDPower.com is to help consumers make more informed decisions through a consumer-friendly rating system that we believe is more helpful and less confusing than actual index scores.
steve_w 14 18
26 Oct 2007 6:26PM
Those results should be taken with about as much faith and trust as any sensible person would anything else they read on the interweb... oh.... wait.....hmmm!

Seriously I do think the result is odd.
randomrubble 17 3.1k 12 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2007 11:20PM

Quote:In the appearance section 5 stars v 2stars - is a Nikon DSLR that much better looking than a Canon one?

That natty red flash makes all the difference, look how much a red Holga/Diana is worth!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.