Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

d200 vs eos 30d

29 Nov 2008 11:03AM
i am after my first DSLR and i want it to last a good 5 years or so. i found a second hand d200 for 410 and the 30d for 320 on MPB but which one is better. p.s. i was going to get a new entry-level camera but i would probably upgrade in a few years. p.p.s im nearly 15 years old and need a camera to last through my media studies and make me a bit of money on the internet.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
29 Nov 2008 11:31AM
You have obviously done some homework on their respective specifications Luke but...

One of the most important things you must do is handle both cameras. You intend having the camera for a long time which makes it even more important.

You need to be completely comfortable as to where the controls are, what does what and where that control is in your hands - does that control fall naturally into place etc. Do you like the way the lens comes off (Nikon and Canon turn in opposite directions! Wink) - again, which are you most comfortable with.

Handiling is so very important Luke - be sure you include this aspect in your final choice.
29 Nov 2008 11:43AM

Quote:older technology

Erm... CCD and CMOS have been around for almost the same period. They are just different technologies and inherantly, the CMOS sensor produces less gain (ISO) noise. That said, if you hate the way the camera handles, what's the point in buying it?

Noise is not everything.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Nov 2008 11:47AM
You have to consider which system you want to buy into. As you purchase lenses for your chosen camera, you are, unless you want to lose money or over-spend in the future, buying into a particular manufacturer.

Regardless of which of these these cameras is marginally better than the other, have you handled a Canon or a Nikon. As Mike says the ergonomics of a camera is very important. A camera that feels odd in your hand and whose buttons don't, in your mind, come easily to hand, will affect the way you work and the uncomfortable relationship between you and your camera will affect your work.

In truth, both of these cameras will see you through your studies
andart 18 532 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2008 11:48AM
If you want a sensor comparison look at DXOmark.

The D200 get a better overall score and is better on Colour Depth and Dynamic range though the 30D is better in low light.

hth
andy
29 Nov 2008 11:57AM

Quote:I never said one technology was older than the other.

Quote:The 30D uses a modern Canon CMOS sensor, the D200 users older technology

Yes you did.

Wink
29 Nov 2008 12:03PM

Quote:The oft-repeated advice to handle the two cameras, see which feels the best then buy that one is so stupid.

You learn the best way to handle your camera in the weeks after you buy it.

I see more learners with cameras than most, Chris and I'm afraid that the advice is good.
The car analogy doesn't hold up in the same way, as by definition the car has to be made for an idiot to drive......try comparing one 'supercar' to another and you'll find drivers who need 100yds to realise that they'll never get along with it.

Quote:Luke, I don't believe that either Keith or Mike would go to a camera shop and buy the DSLR that felt best in their hand

I wish I had though......I'd might not have bought the Zenith then.
29 Nov 2008 12:10PM
Of course, but that will be the same for whichever marque you chose.
29 Nov 2008 12:22PM
That makes no sense.

In the old days, you'd pop along to your local camera shop. Have a look, pick them up, see how it felt, looked, did you like it blah de blah. This advice wasn't particularly handed out because it's how most people bought cameras.

Today with the proliferation of distance selling, the advice is, in my view, good advice.

we'll have to disagree and leave the OP to decide which advice he's comfortable with.
IanA 17 3.0k 12 England
29 Nov 2008 12:28PM
Time spent handling the different marques as a starter 'tog is the most important thing to do. Having used all the current systems, there is just the one that I feel comfortable using and the layout of controls suits me best.
Yes, you can get used to a set of controls after a bit, but things will go a heck of a lot smoother if that layout is comfortable in the first place!

As Keithh says, you are buying into a system and you will have to live with your choice for a long time.

Sensor technology is changing week by week, and by the time the OP is ready to change cameras, will be unrecognisable to what we have today (or a couple of years ago in this case). You can bet though, that the bodies they are in will still resemble the layout of present offerings.

Ian
MrGoatsmilk 12 1.5k England
29 Nov 2008 12:29PM
In the end they are both very good cameras, both take pictures, both use various lenses, flash guns, filters etc etc. A lot is down to how it handles, from how it feels in your hand, how the menu feels to navigate and how you think it looks. Both have their own make lenses along with Sigma and Tamron.

I use a Canon 300D and a 40D I also use a Nikon D300 at work. They all do the same in the end and take pictures, it's not all about the camera but who is using it. Lots of people can take a photo but a good photographer can use many a camera and come up with a great memorable shot.

So what I am saying is what has been said, go and try them out and see which you feel best with.

Stu
30 Nov 2008 11:53AM
i went to jessops and handled the 40d and the d300 because they didnt supply 30d's and d200's anymore. they both felt good and i looked on MPB again for lenses and if i got the d200 they have the 18-55mm lens for 30 and when i searched for the 18-55mm IS lens for the canon they wanted 130 which means both cameras total up around the same price. which means the canon has the image stabilisation but the d200 has the weight so theres no need for IS. i also had a look at th d80, 450d and the alpha 300 if they are any good. by the way i need to save 15 for a memory card and 20 for a camera bag.
User_Removed 18 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2008 12:01PM
Hi

A difficult choice but just to clarify, the weight of the kit at this level really has little bearing as to how much benefit you will get from IS.

Both Nikon and Canon have image stabilised lenses and it's a function of the lens NOT the camera body (just in case you didn't realise) Smile
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2008 7:15PM
My advice to master trinity, is spend a little bit more on lenses and less on the body. Lenses last a long time, bodies come and go.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.