Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

D2X - White balance

dpemberton 16 25
16 Oct 2005 1:36PM
I am currently having a few problems with my recently purchased D2X - the Auto WB setting tends to create a very yellow hue to the pictures when they come straight out of the camera.

Any suggestions as to what this might be?

I've bought an "ExpoDisc White Balancing Filter" which should arrive in the next couple of days to hopefully get better results from a custom setting.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Leif 15 777
16 Oct 2005 1:42PM
I find the same with the D70. On a cloudy day, if I set WB to Cloudy the images are orange. It seems to over-compensate. I wish I knew why! Leif
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2005 1:44PM
Thats because on a digital camera,cloudy acts as a warm up filter Smile
randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2005 1:51PM
WB is calibrated in Kelvin, ie colour temperature. If you're using PS camera raw, look at the colour temperature slider, as you change the setting to cloudy, daylight etc. If, for example, you liked Kodachrome you'll have to reduce the colour temperature when you convert from raw to get that feel...
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
16 Oct 2005 1:52PM
Beat me to the answer Andy, welcome back good time in the lakes again ????

Dave
dpemberton 16 25
17 Oct 2005 10:46AM
Thanks guys,

The Auto setting is way off - lesson learnt here (for me) is don't use Auto WB I suppose!

Would have thought that a camera with the spec of the D2X shouldn't be that far out though.

David
Bryn_Jones 16 186 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 11:13AM
The D70 has quite a few types of preset WB's, including for a cloudy day, shade, tungsten light, flourescent light, strong sunlight, flash as well as a custom function. I found it very useful to do a test shot first with my D70 and found that it improved my shots especially those in the shade or in cloudy condiitions. There is an easy to use toggle button on the back, if whilst in shooting mode it is depressed and you rotate the thumb commnad dial you can rotate easily through the different WB's. ( you can use the other buttons in the same fasion to control the quality and ISO).
Not sure about the D2X but i suspect it will have the same sort of controls if not better.
Hope it helps.

bryn
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
17 Oct 2005 11:15AM
Take a look here and scroll down to colour. You will also find his custom settings to get started.
Leif 15 777
17 Oct 2005 1:36PM
"Thats because on a digital camera,cloudy acts as a warm up filter"

Obviously but I think you miss the point I was making (or did not make clearly). On an overcast day the light is cool, therefore adding a suitable warm up filter should result in a corrected image i.e. as per daylight. But I find that setting my D70 to Cloudy WB on a cloudy/overcast day leads to an obvious orange/yellow cast. Setting WB to daylight/direct-sunlight gets better results. So the WB seems to over-compensate.

Leif
sillyconguru 15 4.4k
17 Oct 2005 2:00PM
You can fine-tune the WB (e.g cloudy+2).
Leif 15 777
17 Oct 2005 2:35PM
That's true but Cloudy -2 (rather than +2) would still give a yellow cast. It's not just a slight cast, but a massive yellow hue.

Anyway I prefer to just set it to Auto and then adjust in Nikon Capture so the issue is academic.

Leif

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.